1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents say whiny kid shouldn't have been removed from plane

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a federal marshall on the flight? Couldn't he have tasered the kid? :)

With the airlines on this one although I agree with Ace entirely.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It seems to me that the parents had enough time to console their daughter and couldn't do it. Hey, it happens. It's too bad the family missed the flight, but rules are rules, and there cannot be any exceptions.

The airline did a noble thing by not only giving them a full refund, but additional roundtrip tickets.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I read it as the kid was sitting on the floor in front of the parents. If the kid was in a seat, they would have just buckled the seat and been done with it.

If you can't handle your kids, get off.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Looks like they had three seats -- two for the parents, one for the kid in question.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stories kind of unclear. Says they pointed to a seat. Seems to me if it was the seat between them or next to them, story would say it.

Even if the kid is pitching a fit, can't you buckle her in?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The airline was extremely generous here. For three free roundtrips I'll get my kid worked up in a fine mess for my next plane trip. Well, probably not. But those parents got more than they deserved.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

And about damn time someone stood up to overpermissive parents...

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To me it sounds like the kid sat one row in front of the parents, in which case, one parent should have swapped seats to the other parent could console the kid next to her and buckle her in.

And to echo KC and playthrough, classy move on the airline's part. Even if the parents can't see that.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It seemed to make sense on my end. The parents paid for three tickets. The child, instead of sitting in the seat they paid for, was too busy crawling around under the seats, throwing a fit and crying.

The airline threw the off the plane and the parents, unable to control the fit their child threw, threw one of their own. They bitched and moaned enough to receive three free round-trip tickets to anywhere the airline flew. This, of course, was followed up with a call to a reporter so that they can complain about the harsh punishment that was inflicted on them.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

In the article it says:
    "Elly was sitting in front of our seat crying," she said in a phone interview. "The attendant motioned to a seat and asked if we purchased it for her."

They had paid for the seat.

She wasn't in a seat. She was on the floor in front of their seat. While there isn't much room to sit on the floor (really, where is the room for this) she wasn't sitting in a seat.

12. I can't remember too many threads on here where there was virtual unanimity, but this appears to be one of them. Good for AirTran.

Draft saved Draft deleted