1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents say whiny kid shouldn't have been removed from plane

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If this is a D_B, I'm totally missing it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/01/23/family_removed_from_plane_after_childs_temper_flares/

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Flight attendants often deal with obnoxious passengers who won't listen to instructions by kicking them off the plane. But a Massachusetts couple think AirTran Airways went overboard by treating their crying 3-year-old daughter in much the same way.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good for the airline. Good for them.

I don't know if I would have argued with them putting the 3-year-old in the overhead compartment.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'll side with the airline on this one.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good for AirTran.

Control your child or drive. End of story.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Air Tran offered them three more tickets? Fuck that!

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What the mom said, according to AP:

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the parents were sitting in one row and the child was supposed to be in a seat in a row ahead of them, if I was reading that right.

Wouldn't at least one of the parents sit with the kid?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Duh. If the seats are in different rows, put one parent and the kid in one row, other parent in the separate row.

This is not a "whiny" kid. This is a kid who should have been put in the seat and buckled in -- like every other passenger -- and not allowed to dictate to mommy and daddy while delaying a flight.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But, sp, that's limiting her natural curiosity. [/theparents] ::)

I'm so happy to say that it's been two Thanksgivings now since I've had to sit back and watch this sort of Dr. Spock parenting ... my sister's step-daughter and her kids. "Now, Bobby, why are you pulling the dog's tail? You say you won't do it much longer? OK, sweetie. Isn't he cute?"

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If people don't want toddlers crawling under airplane seats then stop dropping your peanuts.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm with the airlines on this one. It doesn't take that much to buckle in a 3-year-old, screaming and crying or not. Just f-ing do it!

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Normally I would side with the passengers. I think airplanes are one place where we just accept utter absurdity.

Sit on the tarmac for 8 hours without taking off or returning to the terminal? OK

Wait six hours for your flight to take off while being told to stay in the gate area because it will only be 20 minutes, then 20 minutes, then 20 minutes? OK

Give flight attendants the arresting power of a federal judge? Sure, why not.

But if these two parents were planning to sit in one row and inflict their brat on some unsuspecting schlub, boot 'em off the plane.

Draft saved Draft deleted