1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent's reaction to objective question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Here's a column where the writer asks a fair question.

How young is too young for a state championship?

And here is the way it is perceived by parents.
  2. jlee

jlee Active Member

Actually, that reaction was pretty level-headed, not even taking it into account that it was on a forum for fans of youth wrestling.
  3. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I agree. That seemed very mild to me.

I'd also say that if you write that column, you've got to expect the youth wrestling parents to react badly and try to create an shitstorm about it. If you're not ready for that reaction, then don't write the column. I get tired of columnists writing things to try and get a stir out of people, then when that exact thing happens, they get all "I can't believe how they reacted!"
  4. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

The article could have been written better, IMO, but the parental reaction is very mild compared to some of the Jr. wrestling folks I've dealt with.
  5. There is nothing that frustrates me more than when people complain about some aspect of coverage with the angle, "How can you ignore this event when it brings people to your town?" or "If we don't get better coverage, I'm going to lobby the state organization to move the event to another city?"

Like this post from that link... "Thank God we are in Hershey next year where people appreciate good wrestling and the economic impact on the area for those 3 days. What a D..k!"

I've always struggled with how to tactfully explain that the newspaper's job isn't to work PR for the local visitor's bureau.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the writer's premise is flawed. It's a youth tournament. Not a school tournament. They have competition for kids those ages in virtually every other sport. Why not wrestling?

Now, if you don't want your kid to participate, fine. But to act like it's wrong somehow -- the writer doesn't really seem to have his finger on why it's wrong too well -- is just asking for it.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And, to krimsonpringle. It's not an objective question. It's a column. The writer is being subjective and clearly thinks 8-and-under wrestling is a bad idea.
  8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Would the columnist have written this article if he was covering a T-ball tournament instead of a "combat" style sport involving 8-and-under kids competing against each other in such a physical way? I suspect not. Of course, he doesn't mention that part of it in the article, so maybe I'm reading too much into it here, but I would think if you would talk to him, he would bring that up as a negative factor for having events for kids that young.

Which would have been a separate, and I think potentially better, article.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do they teach the butt drag and other homoerotic technique to the 8-year-olds, or does that wait until they're 10?

Wrestling parents: the dumbest of the dumb.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know that wrestling parents are dumber than any others, but I think that the younger the kids are the crazier the parents -- especially in anything that is some kind of playoff or championship.
  11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Anecdotally speaking, from watching my own kids in different sports, I have never seen so many daddy-son issues being worked out under the guise of sports as I have in wrestling. There's more crying than the Kansas bench after losing to VCU.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it. Never had the privilege of attending a wrestling event for kids younger than high school age.
Draft saved Draft deleted