1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents, lawsuits and high school athletics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

TAPPS had already allowed a soccer final to be rescheduled to accommodate a Seventh-Day Adventist school, which has Sabbath rules similar to Orthodox Judaism. Then again, Edd Burleson, the major domo of TAPPS, said that resulted in a lot of pissed-off parents from the other schools. Meanwhile, TAPPS has repeatedly rejected Muslim schools, and has sent them questionnaires -- as part of their application process -- basically asking if they're terrorists.

TAPPS is going to end up having a big crack-up over the religious scheduling issue. There's no way now that TAPPS could kick out the Jewish schools and become a Christian-only organization without huge blowback. However, it wouldn't shock me if the small Christian schools make noise about bolting for their own organization.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As I thought about this story more, here's two more points:

1) What about the people on the other team who perhaps made plans around the game? Flights, work plans? Then the day before, you realize the time has been changed, fucking up your day? Well, that sucks.

2) I knew a guy a few years ago who couldn't play on our over-30 men's basketball team because games were played on Sunday mornings. He and his family made it a point to go to church, which is fine. The point is that life goes on, and if you're subscribed to a particular religion, you should be ready to make sacrifices.

Or just sue.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Up here, team had to forfeit it's place it the state regional because it was on a Sunday. It was a Catholic vs. a public sectional final. I don't quite recal how it was decided but the Catholic school ended up winning the game but the public school was pre-determinded to advance. I'm not sure if the Catholic school was able to keep the title or not.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The semi was played on Friday, and the final is tonight. Chances are good that, if you wanted to minimize the effects on people's work plans, you'd play the games on Saturday and Sunday. Why do you suppose they don't?

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

That's not the point ... the point is to make something fit into someone's life, you fuck shit up for others.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you want to present what in the other people's life is more important than those folks following their faith, I'll bet the powers that be will at least listen.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm glad your side is the one that lost, if this is their attitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted