1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents, lawsuits and high school athletics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Didn't see this anywhere else. Apparently an Orthodox Jewish school couldn't play in a state semifinal game because of religious reasons, and the league wouldn't move the game at first. But lo and below, the parents filed a federal lawsuit and poof, the game happens. The kids win.

I can see where the parents are coming from, but I'm just so sick and tired of lawsuits because somebody didn't get their way.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/02/jewish-basketball-team-wins-playoff-game-after-rescheduling/

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm tired of it, too, Gator, but this was a matter of telling these kids they couldn't do something because of their religion.

It was a sacrifice they didn't need to have to make.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the NCAA can figure out a way for BYU to avoid ever playing on a Sunday, this little fiefdom should have had no trouble adjusting the schedule for this. The fact that they didn't do it for a Jewish school until they were threatened with a lawsuit says much about the group's Christian-ness.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I completely agree that the league should have thought well ahead of this, and the league is partly to blame, but part of me wonders if the kids would have been better off sticking to their guns. I guess it doesn't matter now, but it would be quite noble for the kids to say, "This is who we are, no matter what."

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They did stick to their guns. They're not playing on their Sabbath.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Jewish school is sick and tired of someone being inflexible and unreasonable.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

tapps was in the wrong on this and the parents were right to do what they did, especially since tapps had made similar concessions before.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the Jewish school won today, over Dallas Covenant, which, according to an AP story, had no problem with the time being changed. Recall this was the same school whose girls team forfeited a RUTS 100-0 win and fired the coach as well a few years ago, IIRC.

TAPPS impresses me as being clueless, more interested in keeping the schedule than the kids they serve.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Catholic high schools play on Sundays all the time, but you'll never hear about Billy Bob Bodine's Bible-Beating Babtist Academy ever setting foot on the field on Sunday.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's funny how the Catholic schools will schedule games on Sunday when the public schools won't play that day.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sundays don't mean day of rest for Catholics, though. When I grew up playing Catholic school basketball, Sundays were always when we played. Church, followed by the games from fifth through eighth grades. Whole day of school spirit and all.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Funny how flexible the Catholic church is on some things and how inflexible on others.

Draft saved Draft deleted