1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Calvin Hobbes, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Seen a teenager read a newspaper recently? (I didn't think so)....and Calvin...my thoughts and prayers are with you....Lost my Mom a few years ago, but I know she was proud of me and the path I followed...Moms being moms, it wouldn't surprise me if your's felt the same way....

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Calvin, You handled it fine. Idiot readers are easily forgotten, so I normally don't post to these threads. But I am really sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

So did the waitress who served him all that courage.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

sweetbreads ... anyone who calls my house/cell to complain about something gets a curt talking to and a hangup. When I was SE at my last job, someone called me at home on a Sunday afternoon to complain about youth baseball coverage or something. I told him politely that I was not working and to call me at work the next day. He started to yell at me and I blew up, basically telling him to fuck himself before slamming the phone down. I didn't care if he called my boss to tell me how rude I was. He was out of bounds. I maybe got one day off a week at that job, and it was sacred. These assholes need to understand that. Do I call the mechanic at home if I'm not happy with the service he gave me? I don't think so.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Sorry to hear of your loss, Calvin.

We recently received an anonymous, full-of-grammatical-mistakes letter from a parent wondering why we don't cover Jr. High football. She went on for about 300 words, and included "they would work harder if they saw their names in the paper." Publisher saw the letter and fairly well erupted (games are on Thursday nights). Nope, we aren't going to cover them.
    We then receive an e-mail from a different parent, about 40 words, wondering why we don't cover Jr. High football.
    Publisher caves. Wants me to do a feature to go on the front page of the paper. I told her to find someone else to do it, because I wasn't going to. We get into a minor pissing match, and I hold my ground. Tonight, she is off to said Jr. High football game to do a feature on it.

The team is undefeated, largely because of a stud who was held back and should be a freshman in high school this year. He matured early, and is a man among boys.

Raises and bonuses are forthcoming next week. I may have fucked myself.
    And I don't give two shits.

Best guess is that the publisher was threatened with pulled advertising. That would certainly explain the sudden 180-degree turn in her interest in the matter.

I was off yesterday to help with fire prevention day at the fire department when all the grade school kids come in to be educated on, well, fire prevention. I get back to work this morning, and there's a note on my desk from a parent of the other school we cover wanting me to go to the final Jr. High football game tonight. Am I going? Fuck no.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sorry to hear about your mom, Calvin. Hang in there.

In my experience, the kids aren't the ones bitching about coverage. They're not measuring column inches or counting photos. It's the parents, all the way.

If anyone ever called my home to discuss my job, and they weren't signing my paychecks, I would lose it. It's bad enough that I get stopped around town and am never really "off duty."

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's the reason why you need to spring for an unlisted number.

People figure your name is out in the public all the time, therefore you're never off the clock.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I can only shake my head.

Your publisher told you to do something, and you didn't.

And you still work there.

That really surprises me. (Oh, I agree with you on junior high football, but not on insubordination.)

Besides I bet that held-back stud has worked hard. ;)

9. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I'm also a big fan of the "You know, she is hoping to get into a good school somewhere and coaches rely on your paper to find out about her stats."

Standard reply is usually, "Look, if a college coach needs to read a newspaper to figure out who to recruit, I don't think you want your son/daughter to go there."

Like Pat Summit is really thumbing through Podunk Press to find a gem.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yeah, but shouldn't we talk at length about how Pay Summitt is ducking Uconn.

That is the most important story on earth.

Oh, wait, we are not in Connecticut.

Draft saved Draft deleted