1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Calvin Hobbes, Oct 10, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Calvin, sorry to hear about your mom. That's tough.

When I put out a prep section, I developed a form e-mail to respond to those people. I honed it until it sounded really good, but committed us to exactly nothing. But I'm sure they thought we cared.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you're in on your day off, don't read the e-mail.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cover a fencing scrimmage... wow.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've received complaint letters and e-mails from kids, too.
    Maybe they do care.
    Or maybe it's the kids speaking for the parents because the parents feel it would give them more credibility.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

had a girl email me last year after volleyball season saying i owed her an explanation for why she was not player of the year. funny thing was, her teammates did not even vote her as the team MVP, and she wasn't. the mom, a year later, made it a point to tell me how much she disagreed with my choice. i smailed and said I know and moved on with the conversation.

6. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Or it's the parents signing the kid's name, unless of course, you've had it verified.

With the football playoffs coming up, we're going to have a handful of teams in and a handful of teams out...and the two teams that will not be taking trip to the playoffs...most likely...are the two local city teams.

I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar...which I don't even have at the moment...that when we furgo these shitty teams and cover the other area teams...which we cover regularly by the way...there will be mass e-mails about how we blew off We Suck High School again.

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

Ah, the coward's forum. The only thing that gives people more courage than alcohol is anonymity.

I join the others, Calvin, in extending condolences. Pancreatic cancer took my mother a few years ago.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

my condolences as well. as far as cheerleading, tell them it's not a sport.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i thought we've come to the fucking conclusion here that cheerleaders work just as hard as real athletes. ... jesus.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This rocks!

11. Claws for Concern

Another prized post.

12. Claws for Concern

Calvin, I join the others in the condolences for your mom and for the other loved ones who have passed in recent years. Hang in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted