1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parenting rant ... taken to the extreme

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I understand that, and I don't mean to say that anyone with a kid who's gone off the rails is automatically a bad parent. I like your take, expendable, and my 12-year-old daughter has seen the video. First, she finds it hilarious, the thought of me bringing a .45 in the backyard to shoot anything. But, yeah, we wanted to emphasize the point that there are things we talk about with each other, and don't throw out onto Facebook.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

please let the same fate be met by at least one more laptop

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I sure hope there's a rational mature adult in that kid's life, because dad sure isn't it.

What's he going to do when she does something worse than write a pissy-but-she's-15 Facebook post, when he finds a beer can or a condom. Put a bullet in the dog? In her?

Here's the dude's response to the public response...basically, it's wrong to make this public so we'll just keep airing our shit on Facebook. Oh.

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

At least it was only a laptop.

Another dad (and an accomplice) shot two people who 'defriended' his daughter on Facebook.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/9073819/Facebook-murder-Tennesse-couple-Billy-Clay-Payne-and-Billie-Jean-Hayworth-killed-in-their-home-after-defriending-Jenelle-Potter.html

If this is a d_b and has already been covered here, I apologize. Don't shoot me.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not only will we shoot, Captain ... you're going to have to pay for the bullets.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say he's right or wrong, because it's not my style to tell adults how to raise their children. But what I can say, unequivocally, is that it solved nothing. The media and public reaction (good or bad) will die down in a few days, and when it does, the daughter likely will resent her father that much more. Back at square one, and even farther back.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I have a friend in the gun business, so I can get the bullets at a discount. So,at least I've got that going for me...

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Taking the laptop away? Perfectly reasonable.

Posting a video on Facebook? Pretty juvenile.

Shooting it with a gun? Reckless.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That's what I thought too. If you're going to do something this extreme, there's probably going to be hell to pay. The judge beating his daughter for downloading songs comes to mind.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who wants to bet it winds up being a hoax?

11. doodah

doodah Guest

I hope the computer still works, but I kinda doubt it.

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I'm kind of thinking it's a hoax. But I have problem with it if it's real. The girl shamed the family publicly, and the punishment was public. Not that big a deal, but nothing I would have done.

Draft saved Draft deleted