1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parenting rant ... taken to the extreme

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm not a parent, but I'd love to see some of the responses to this video of a father who saw a post on her facebook page complaining about her "chores" and his rebuttle, which ends in shooting her laptop with a handgun. Some might see it as "kids today," and others will think its vastly over the top. I guess I have no problem with it until he actually takes out his gun, but it sure is pretty funny.

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9738000

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looks like he ended up with exactly the daughter he deserved. Great family all around.

3. doodah

doodah Guest

He should be taken out back old yeller style for that. Extremely ridiculous. Seriously, these are the cases social services should see. Horrible, detestable father.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A couple female Facebook friends have posted it, and a lot of their female friends are cheering for the guy.

I was surprised. I think he's nuts.

5. Same here.

Numerous friends have posted and shared this today - male and female.
    All in support of this dude.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wow.

Now, I want to see the video of the daughter's reaction when she found out about this.

Did he go too far? Yes. Many children would be looking for emancipation proceedings after that.

But ...

Do parents get to the point with their children where they're simply not going to do what you expect? Yes. And here's the thing. There are just as many, if not more, parents who never get to that point with their children ... and they can't fathom how that happens. They think, "How could the parents let it get to that point?"

Well, they don't let it get to that point. The child gets some wrong ideas in his/her head, and it often happens with certain bad friends or a bad crowd. And you can do everything up to what this idiot did, and the child is not going to change his/her mind about what he/she wants to do.

More often than not, those kids make it out the other end, thankfully. But it does happen.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You want to call him to tell him what you think? ALL of his personal info is right here:

http://pastebin.com/mb1DBAFe

You'd think an IT guy would be smart enough to know about that.

8. jr/shotglass

Kind of wish you hadn't posted that.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It also helps in weeding the bad ideas out of your head if you actually talk to your children. Not talk at. Talk to. Clearly, this girl -- and I'm not saying she's an angel, because I don't know her -- didn't feel like she could talk to her own parents about her frustrations, or else she wouldn't have gone to Facebook.

If it were me, and my daughter posted that, I wouldn't rush to YouTube and get all Chuck Norrisy. I'd sit down to talk with her, because I would be very disturbed about what was so wrong with my relationship with my daughter that things got to this point. But all Smokin' Cowboy sees is a girl who ain't doin' what she's tol'.

10. jr/shotglass

And, Bob, for all your good intentions ... that might not work. I sure hope it would, but there are many, many parents who would do that as the first thing ... and it would not work.

I promise not to get all touchy about this, because I do understand that a lot of people don't see the other side. But we did the right things with our 14, 15, 16-year-old. Sometimes, bad things are going to happen anyway.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I can see why he would be frustrated, but I can't applaud what he did. I did watch the video with my ten year old daughter (also named Hannah), as I didn't really know what it was this morning when I first saw it. We talked about it and being respectful of all people, not just her mother and I. I complimented her on how she has respected her parents, and said that we expect it to continue. I even shared with her that we were going to have our disagreements over the next eight or nine years, but I would always love her. I thank him for giving me a teaching moment, but I can't say whether or not he's a good parent. We've seen seven minutes of this guy's life and none of his daughter's.

12. jr/shotglass

Now, there's a great way to use this. I couldn't applaud you more, expendable.

Draft saved Draft deleted