1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parenting Job No. 1: Make sure your kid lives.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 7, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://news.aol.com/article/praying-parents-get-jail-time-in-death/599327?icid=main|aim|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fpraying-parents-get-jail-time-in-death%2F599327

These people make me sick. They prayed for their 11-year-old daughter instead of getting her medical treatment, so she died of untreated diabetes.

There are good people out there who never have a chance at parenthood. There are others whose children die no matter how hard they fight. But these assholes would rather their child be a martyr than live. Six months in jail and 10 years of probation aren't nearly enough.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate religion as much as anyone can. Really, truly think it fucks up a lot of stuff. And this story pisses me off. But I don't think they thought of her as a martyr, despite the judge's statement.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If one of my kids is sick, I do everything in my power to get them better. I'm sure 99 percent of parents are the exact same way.

4. outofplace

Probably not. I'm not particularly rational about stuff like this. My neice is 11. She surprises me with how mature she is sometimes, but no way she would understand something like this. Neither did the girl who died. Parents don't have the right to do that to their children.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Understood. The unnecessary death of children (no matter my previous posts about children in general) are not things to be explained away.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What about parents who let their child become morbidly obese to the point where he/she is a 400-pound 17-year-old?

They obviously neglected the child's health and almost certainly sentenced their child to a shortened life span.

Are they guilty of anything in a court of law?

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Several states say yes, and they are starting to convict.
    Where's Leo when you need him?

8. outofplace

I think that is a little bit tougher of a call, just because you have to figure out where to draw the line. How overweight does the child have to be?

Choosing prayer over medical treatment is pure negligence, which is a form of child abuse.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

One key difference between these two scenarios is that a 17-year-old would have at least some control over what he/she puts in his/her mouth, and has to take some responsibility for that regardless of age. There are things an individual could do on their own to mitigate/improve their situation.

Barring medical intervention, Type I Diabetes is a manageable but unchangeable and incurable condition for anyone -- particularly an 11-year-old totally at the mercy of his/her parents and unable to go to a doctor on her own.

10. outofplace

Good point. The age does make a big difference. Not only is the 11-year-old unable to go on her own, she is going to trust in her parents. She is not going to question what they are telling her to do. Hell, she probably died not even realizing that it was her parents' fault.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fixed

12. Hey, idiot fuckwad parents:
    You believe God is great and is the reason for everything good. Fine. I won't argue with you.
    But has your peanut-sized brain ever considered that, if that's the case, God created the drugs and inspired the doctors who would have saved your kids' fucking life?

Enjoy jail.

And six months isn't enough. Did you read their comments to the judge? They killed their own daughter and still haven't learned shit.
    "I am guilty of trusting my Lord's wisdom completely. ... Guilty of asking for heavenly intervention. Guilty of following Jesus Christ when the whole world does not understand. Guilty of obeying my God."
    Acting like a martyr. Just fantastic.
    "Did we act to the best of our knowledge? Yes."
    At least we agree on this much, ma'am. You're a moron.

Draft saved Draft deleted