1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parenthood Season 6: Will someone die with the show?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This show in theory could continue forever. How do you end a show that's about continuity? I'm fascinated to find out.

I really liked the premiere.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The last scene could be an old man Drew telling the story of his family to his grandchildren. (God, I hope not)

Seems like Joel and Julia are going to end up back together.

I'm in the middle of watching season 3 of Breaking Bad, so I am going to start screwing up which person Betsy Brandt is in which show...I just know it. I haven't checked, but I wonder if she is going to be more than just an occasional guest star

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

She wears purple in 90% of her Breaking Bad scenes. And yes, I think she'll have a slightly bigger role. But there isn't enough time to add fleshed out characters.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I understand that families lose members every day in real life but I hope they don't write a death into the season just for the sake or writing a death into the script, which is what it would seem like to me.

As for Joel and Julia, it seems like Joel's finally going to come around, and all of a sudden we have Julia messing around with some new guy from a new job she's suddenly returned to. I guess they need to do some damage to each other before they finally get back together.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I used to do Braverman of the week rankings at The AV Club but can drop them here, I guess.

1. Aida: Walking! Good work.
    2. Haddie: Stick around. Amber needs a friend.
    3. Joel: Good-Guy Joel is back!
    4. Adam: Everyone's rock.
    5. Kristina: Opened a school, which seems impressive.
    6. Camille: The things she puts up with.
    7. Hank: Don't break Sarah's heart. Or do. (Aside: I never included him or Mark in the past.)
    8. Drew: Still with the right choice.
    9. Victor: Board games and stuff.
    10. Sarah: Always a mix of good and idiotic, but here more good.
    11. Sydney: Uncharacteristically quiet.
    12. Jabbar: Very little to do.
    13. Jasmine: Even less.
    14. Max: "I don't like metaphors" was unusually forced.
    15. Crosby: So was the Vegas stuff with him.
    16. Amber: You're my favorite. Tell Ryan.
    17. Julia: You're too smart to mess this up.
    18. Zeek: Don't die.

I don't recall Nora at all.

6. old_tony

That's good stuff. If you do that every week here I'd definitely look forward to it.

7. old_tony

Least surprising development ever is that Zeek will have the surgery. Can't pass up the opportunity to have all those worried faces in the hospital waiting room. That's Drama Writing 101.

Still, another in a long streak of well-done episodes. The vast contract between Adam and Crosby was on display. It appears Sydney being a little punk-ass bitch is what will bring Julia and Joel back together. Noticable was that while Haddie was around for the season premiere, she's once again gone, apparently chasing her girlfriend across Europe. I don't remember seeing Drew, either. Apparently too busy with his girl to drop in on Zeek's birthday party.

Probably the greatest moment was Adam and Zeek's conversation in the kitchen. "If you don't have the surgery, you could die. You could die, Dad. What do I do then?" As someone who's Dad is 77 (and, thankfully, still healthy enough to water ski about five times this past summer), that hit me pretty strongly. It was a great scene, and Peter Krause played it amazingly well, getting the perfect shake in his voice that made you believe it was actually him and his father. Then, they followed that scene with Zeek and Amber. What a great, real show. I swear this show is a wholelot more real than any "reality" shit out there.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I predict that Amber will cry a lot this season. . . . she always does.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sorry for the delay, but it was a busy week at work. I didn't think this was a particularly great episode, but I loved the scene with Zeek and Amber on the steps. That was one of my favorites, with all the emotions and the conviction of arguably the two best actors on the show.

1. Zeek: He made the right choice in the end, for the right reason and on his own terms. Happy birthday.
    2. Nora: Holy shit, she got cute.
    3. Adam: I also think baseball players should be paid based on their production.
    4. Julia: I really liked how she stood up for herself with Joel.
    5. Camille: Great-grandma!
    6. Jabbar: Autotuning like a champ.
    7. Amber: I love you. But you can't be top five without telling Ryan.
    8. Max: "Slave labor" got a laugh. Plus he knows gluton.
    9. Jasmine: She brings it every episode.
    10. Victor: Props on not being the problem child any more.
    11. Joel: He didn't do anything wrong here, but Julia did better.
    12. Crosby: So immature, yet so good-hearted.
    13. Kristina: This season is going to be a meltdown a minute with you, isn't it?
    14. Aida: Why does your poop smell so much?
    15. Sarah: She tends to redeem herself, but her tone-deafness with Amber and at the party were brutal.
    16. Sydney: The biggest lie was, "That doesn't sound like our daughter."

Missing in action were Haddie, Drew and Hank (whom I maybe shouldn't include?).

10. old_tony

Good stuff.

Also, to answer the thread title, I just read an interview with Mae Whitman and it seems to be common knowledge that someone is going to die this season.

http://glmr.me/1rhUkv2

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I got money on the baby.

OK, not really. But it seems to be setting up to not be Zeek. Maybe one of the kids? Drew? Hattie? It just seems like they won't kill off a top-tier Braverman because it seems to cliche. Make it a sub-plot that affects everyone, but it's not a main focus to the overall season story.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's the last season. Anyone can die.

Draft saved Draft deleted