1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent offended that we didn't stress a team's first goal of the season

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Oct 1, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No lie.

We had a parent e-mail in a complaint the other night regarding a field hockey game between two rival schools.

In the writeup, our call-taker stressed the point that this was Podunk High Schools first ever win as a program - first-year varsity. They beat East Podunk, 3-1.

Well East Podunk mom e-mails with a congrats to Podunk on its first win, but I am upset that you simply glossed over the fact that despite the loss, this one goal was East Podunk's first goal of the season. She was ashamed that would be left out of the small wrapup item, because those girls worked so hard to get that one goal.

Now mind you, we mentioned they scored and had the goal scorer, but we didn't stress that it was the team's only goal on a 0-8 season in which Eastie has been outscored 25-1.

What in the world is wrong with these people?

Of course we all know if it was mentioned in the writeup, we would have received e-mails saying "you guys hate us. Why are you rubbing it in. These girls aren't pros, they don't deserve that."

I find the human race fascinating.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You're gonna have to thicken up the skin, or this business will kill you, Red.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They always will find something to complain about.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No need to thicken. I find this somewhat funny.

As for the Human Race comment. I've always preferred animals.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why would they want it pointed out that it was their 1st goal of the season? that makes them suck even more.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The squirrels try just as hard as the other forest creatures. How come you never write about them?

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

It would have been good to have it in, but it's certainly not bad to have left it out.

8. i'm of the mind we should start running all these gripes as letters to the editor in the sports section -- to make the overbearing parents look like the fools that they are.

9. jps

jps Active Member

... red walks up ... places his comment on the tee ...

10. jps

jps Active Member

hell. we should collect them and create a best-of book.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The problem with printing the letters is like-minded parents see it and find another idiot with common ground.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Please, do not feed the animals.

Draft saved Draft deleted