1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent of wrestler picks up his kid's opponent and shoves him away during match

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6088077">
    If you go here, there's a link to watch a report that includes the video mentioned in the story. This dad needs to get a grip!</a>

2. the man is sad and pathetic. He deserves all the shame and suffering he'll get over this.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hope the guy gets charged.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Parent of wrestler picks up his kid's opponent and shoves him away during ma

But when you watch the video, there's nothing really criminal about what he did.
    He should, however, be banned for life from attending any of his son's sporting events -- from youth wrestling to his future playing football at Colorado.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I haven't been able to watch the video here at work, but if the dad threw a kid, as the other parent claimed, how could that NOT be a criminal act?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The family with the kid who got shoved lives in Aurora, but in one of the clips of him as a younger wrestler he's wearning the same singlet my son's team (south side of Chicago) wore this year. Strange.

Anyway, in my limited experience as wrestling dad (one year and done, thank g-d), I am not shocked by this video. Not that I saw dads shoving other people's kids. Usually they reserve that rage for their own children. Lots of daddy issues being developed and worked out on the mat, that's for sure.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Parent of wrestler picks up his kid's opponent and shoves him away during ma

He pulled him off his son and kinda flung him.
    Yeah, it could be assault in a technical sense, but it's not like he kept after the kid.
    He flung him off his own son, the pointd at the cameraman/father.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When I get a chance to actually view the video (can't at work) I'm sure I'll see a bit better, but regardless of whether or not he kept after the kid, throwing him in the first place, especially an adult on an 11-year-old, is way out of line and could easily be construed as assault.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Run-ins. More proof of Vince Russo's influence.

10. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

It was plainly evident the parent is assaulting the wrestler with his forceful contact.
    The T.O.-style post-heave taunt will do little to help dear old daddy convince a judge or jury that this was a random, spontaneous act. Dad appeared proud of himself for being able to toss away the kid with that celebration.
    As for any defense that his son was injured, beside the fact the match had just been stopped, IT'S WRESTING. I'm pretty sure wrestling is defined as a contact sport.
    Dad needs a conviction more than meds, or maybe he needs to take his kid and live in a bubble.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fair enough. It it was Russo, the father would have turned on his own kid and announced that the kid's opponent was his real son. Then the two kids would wrestle with the mom as the special referee, and she'd turn on the son too.

Draft saved Draft deleted