1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent: Blowout loss was bullying

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think most everybody is in agreement here -- and so are the commenters on the linked stories. Everybody thinks the parent is an oversensitive jackass. Which he is.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If the parental unit in question really thinks losing a football game is bullying, he/she needs to talk to parents whose children have committed suicide over bullying at school and/or online.

AP picked up the story today and included something I did not know. Texas follows NCAA rules, not NHSF, which could explain the lack of a mercy rule.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Whatever the pros and cons of football blowouts, this IS NOT bullying.

Back in the day, we had real bullying in schools. I'm not condoning it, but it did cause certain people to grow up quicker than they might have otherwise.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think the decision to use a mercy rule is up to the associations, not NFHS. In Mississippi, the MAIS (private schools/academies) has a mercy rule, which is a running clock for a 35-point margin at half or any point thereafter. The MHSAA does not have a mercy rule in football.

Most of the coaches I deal with are pretty astute about when to call off the dogs. I had a game last week where the home team was up 34-0 at halftime, then had the starters play one series each (defense, then offense) in the second half before clearing the bench.

This team, BTW, normally passes much more than it runs, but they only threw five passes in the second half. That was something the coach specifically wanted to work on, running the ball effectively and closing out a one-sided game as quickly and efficiently as possible.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This parent needs to be publicly identified and ridiculed for the idiot he/she is and their kid should be kicked off the team for having an idiot for a parent. That a high school principal has to waste one second dealing with this bullshit is another indictment of how shitty our education system is.

Whoever it was who posted awhile back that the worst parents to deal with are the ones with kids was absolutely right.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's total bullshit.

If you get your younger guys "garbage time" in a 63-7 game, they get opportunities to play in front of a crowd, against a little better competition than JV games and then you can still run an offense and not feel guilty about it.

Oh wait, if your JV guys score then you have to feel guilty about it as well because of wusses who don't understand sports......

7. zagoshe

They can't achieve "coaching up their teammates and being attentive" in their street clothes?

8. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Umm, yeah? Why not work on shit like that in a game you already have control of? Better to test it out against actual competition than your scout team.

9. zagoshe

And let me make this clear - I do not condone "running up the score" from the standpoint of leaving starters in and throwing and doing trick plays to embarrass an opponent.

But I also don't believe it is your job as a coach to preserve the feelings of the other team.

And I think as long as you are putting in reserves and deep reserves you can continue to run your regular offense and play defense.

I saw one team where a coach was literally chasing a kid down the sidelines who had a pick six - a deep reserve who probably never had an opportunity to score before - telling him to go down and the kid ran out of bounds at like the 5.

That to me is far more demeaning than letting the kid score and making it 55-3 instead of 48-3

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If there was no such thing as garbage time I wouldn't have played a down of high school football.

My 14-to-17-year-old self was a fan.

11. zagoshe

Exactly my point ---

The back-up QB on my HS football team my senior year was a senior who had been a back-up for four years only got in "garbage time" from freshman ball on up. And those "garbage time" moments where what kept him busting his ass for four years and he lived for them.

And believe me - he was in for a helluva lot more "we're down 35 in the third" drives than "we're up 42 in the fourth" drives over the four years as we weren't very good

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I really don't see taking your gear off at half time as disrespectful.

I would never encourage my players to do it if I was a coach, but if my team was the one getting hammered, I'd be worried about a whole lot more than seeing the starting QB for the other guys wearing a hoody and baseball cap on the sidelines. As long as the kids aren't going to concessions stands and buying a snack it's not that big a deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted