1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent: Blowout loss was bullying

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 22, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's part of what struck me when I first read the link, another helicopter parent. But what really bothers me is, bullying is a huge problem nowadays, and the parental units here have totally twisted the meaning.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ct has a 50 pt margin otherwise known as the "Cochran Rule" . When a team that wins by more than 50 pts, HC is automatically suspended following week unless there was
    extenuating circumstances.

Rule put in place as a result of New London HS Coach- Jack Cochran running up huge scores.Cochran's son is now one of QB's for UConn.

Some good sides and bad sides to rule. There are some pretty bad teams. Town I live in
    has been hitting the high 40's by mid 2nd qtr and has to pull the plug. Good side is a lot of kids get to play. Bad side is that you are watching winning team run dives for
    2 quarters and use full 25 seconds to run each play.

It becomes almost unfair to winning team because younger players who get a chance to play are working with a playbook essentially cut down to 2 or 3 running plays and zero
    passes for fear that they might score and leave impression they were running it up.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I hate these rules. If you are going to field a team that's going to lose by that much, you should be prepared to lose by 150.

It does the good teams no good, in terms of building stamina for the playoffs, to pull starters at halftime. None.

4. Boom_70

I'm kind of there too. If teams are getting blown out they need to put a better product on
    the field.

50 point margin should be increased with spread offenses running 80 -90 off
    plays. They can run off 40 points in a qtr.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It comes down to respect -- both for your opponent and your players. You respect your opponents by playing them fair and square and not going out of your way to score gratuitous points. And, to that end, you respect your players, especially the ones who don't get many chances to really compete, by giving them their opportunity to actually play football.

6. Boom_70

Respect is a key word. 6 weeks in a row I've watched local team hit the 40's by
    half. Starters done come back out at end of half with shoulder pads off and baseball
    caps like the are in the NFL. There kids so I can't really blame them but it shows
    a lack of respect for other team and their teamates who still have a half of football to play.

If I were the HC I would make them stand on sidelines game ready and focused cheering on teamates. All the games won't be that easy and I would not want complacency to set in.

7. NDJournalist

I'd want my team to be used to playing at least three quarters in every game so that when playoffs get around they aren't worn out by having to play one. And Id want my team to have the swagger in knowing it can beat weak little shit teams by 100 instead of only 50

8. doctorquant

If your team's playoff conditioning depends on that one quarter's worth of play in a blowout game, then you're a shitty coach.

If your team's confidence is contingent on its being allowed to beat weak little shit teams by 100 rather than 50, then you're a shitty coach.

Hmmmmm ... I think I see a pattern here.

9. doctorquant

I totally agree. That's disrespectful and shouldn't be tolerated, and it shows that the coach doesn't really know what he's doing (or, rather, the broader facets of his job). In situations like that, I believe the starters should not only be attentive, they should be coaching up their teammates ... I think they call that leadership, which, ostensibly, is one of those things high school football's supposed to inculcate.

10. NDJournalist

What does a losing team gain from the winners not trying? In life, are people going to go easy on you when things get tough? For the winners, what purpose is served by not letting them open the Playbook for the last half or quarter?

11. Boom_70

It's odd because coach knows what he's doing. They've allowed zero Td's from scrimmage
    in first half of their games.

He used to be a real hard ass and would not have tolerated relaxed sideline demeanor.

Maybe it's the norm of dealing with today's kid. Let them have fun. Not my cup of
    tea, but obviously working ...... so far.

12. doctorquant

Oh come on ... by that logic, then there's no reason for a team that's way ahead to not work on its onsides kicks or its two-point conversions. That's a perfect time to work on hail Mary plays, or to try out a new version of the blitz that had, to date, remained in the playbook. After all, what's a few more points given up by the losers?

I don't get nearly as bent out of shape by the losers' fates in this sort of circumstance -- which, I should note, I don't think really happened in this story -- as I do the kids who stand on the sidelines while their more talented teammates take the margin out to 42 or try to preserve a shutout when their team's up by 63. A coach who's simply using the other team for practice/conditioning fodder is treating his own players disrespectfully. And, I will repeat -- that coach has lost sight of what he's paid to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted