1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent as a coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Alright, I know I'm totally cheating here, but I could use a little help on my research.

I'm working on story about the HS coach's kid (I know, I know. I hope I have room on the wall for all the awards, and I can't decide whether to sell the rights to the story directly to a movie company, or wait for SI to come through with a $1,000,000 contract.) Anyway, I'm trying to think of some famous athletes coached by a parent at various levels. I'm sure nearly every good kid was coached by a parent pre-high school, but I'd think that number would thin out pretty quickly, especially into high school and beyond.

Anyway, my short list to this point includes:

Jimmy Connors (Thank you, current events)
    Pistol Pete
    Tiger Woods
    The Williams sisters (I think)

And I'm not even sure they all count. So if you could help me expand upon that at all, it'd appreciate it.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Brett Favre

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Ty Detmer

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't really think you can count the tennis players because it's so different from a team sport.

John Elway
    Patrick Knight (OK he was a horseshit player)
    Sean Sutton
    Tubby Smith's kid (GG?)
    Ronnie Thompson

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bryce Drew.

Mike Davis Jr. (does he count?)

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jeff Calhoun, Jim's punk kid, was a scrubeenie at UConn for a couple years. I remember going to a game at Gampel in which I spent the last 10 minutes of a blowout screaming for Jim to put in Jeff.

Then he became a stockbroker, where, presumably, he got eaten alive without his daddy.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Walter Gretzky.

Backyard rink. Pylons. Drills.

The model hockey parent.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

G.G. at Georgia and Saul (sp.) at Kentucky

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bob Knight coached his kid, too. And the kid is going to take over for him at Texas Tech when Knight steps down. I am positive I was a dad who coached away from a DI basketball career.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Me too Ragu. Me too.

That my dad was not a D-I coach created a hole in our relationship we've never been able to repair.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Brent Sutter coachs his kid with the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL and Dale Hunter's son Dylan played under him with the London Knights.

Oh yeah, and Mike Foligno's son Nick (a good fucking player) plays under him with the Sudbury Wolves.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted