1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parade of Liars: Biggest Fraud commercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Nov 21, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Most annoying ad is this fucking shadow thing that takes over my screen every time I switch pages on here.

SC, don't worry, only Browns gear costs less than 10 bucks. :)

Oh, we would be amiss if we did not incluse...

It's just like a mini-mall.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I agree, but does Bowflex get any credit for Favre's season this year?

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Any ad for a restaurant that we don't have where I live, which is anything even remotely good

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

"NFL football this Sunday on WCBS. The Jets take on (a real franchise) at one o'clock, here on channel two."

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I picked TBS at random.

Most cable networks set aside blocks of ad time in which cable and satellite companies can run different ads. That's why you see ads for Bob's Washer and Dryer Repair in between segments of Law & Order. But while you're getting the hard sell from Bob someone on the other side of the country is being told about how Rudy's Burrito Shack has the best Mexican food in town. If you have DirecTV or Dish Network you'd likely see an ad letting you know that Transformers is now available on PPV.
    Maybe TBS was the wrong cable network to mention. It is...err, was apparently, Atlanta's superstation. I could have just as easily said A & E, Comedy Central, Lifetime, etc.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

That video made my day. It's So insanely bad it's good. But I think I'm gonna have 'It's just like, just like a mini-mall' stuck in my head for days now.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I think commercials like that are filler for when there's no ads to fill the designated time gap. Kind of like how some papers have ads for the local soup kitchen to take up space on pages. Once I started thinking that way, they bugged me less. Maybe it's because I'm thinking of the midday programmer who has to say "screw it" and just play the crap.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Holy crap! I found my "1212 Loop 12" guy! His name is Johnny Ross. Here's a link to one of his demo reels:

http://johnnyross.com/furniture.html

He's hawking a different furniture store but he does that crazy arm thing. And if you think the "Do it now! Do it now! Do it now!" is going to get stuck in your head...imagine "1212 Loop 12." It's been 10+ years since he did those Supermart ads and they get stuck in my head anytime I hear someone say 1212. Sort of like how I get "Temples of Syrinx" stuck in my head anytime I hear someone say 2112.

9. "Don't blame the drugs, man!"

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Um, dude, you're forgetting that they do it three times a week for 20 whole minutes! Any of us could look like that, we just don't have that kind of commitment.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

As I watch ESPNU right now, I have seen the timeshare commercial run three times during the first half of Fordham-UMass. When did timeshares all of a sudden become a hot commodity??

How about the Kay Jewelers spot...going Christmas tree shopping...c'mere, honey, look at this tree...oh, what's this, a $3,000 pair of earrings stuffed in the branches? Ahhh what bliss.

And then there are the ones for Qwest...why are so many hot women spending their time at home on Friday and Saturday nights, getting all dressed up to talk on the phone? I just don't get it.

I do like this commercial though (keep the speakers low if you're at work):

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

those fucking at&t wireless ads where they tout your phone working an a made up city like atlorkolaploangeles. that's just not funny. i actually saw something stupider on line - you can enter a few cities and buy a shirt with a made up city name that also has the at&t symbo. stupid, stupid, stupid.

although i have to admit, kind of sheepishly, that on my new big ass lcd, that bright orange looks really fucking cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted