1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parade of Liars: Biggest Fraud commercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Nov 21, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Holy shit. You know it's Christmas when you see ANY disgusting Lexus commercial...the jingle alone tells me "buy me and bury your ass in debt but feel better because your neighbors will envy you" bullshit.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Miller Lite commercials, simply because "more taste" is a b.s. term.

Also, the Mac commercials with Justin Long because they're passive-aggressive.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I've never understood the logic behind cable systems running ads...on TBS. If you're able to see the ad you already have cable. Ok...I realize that you might not have cable and you're seeing the ad at a friend's place or in some bar. But seriously, if you were in that situation would you put your beer down and run to the phone to schedule installation?

I do however miss the "1212 Loop 12" guy with the freaky arm spinning elbow action. Him and the Internet America girl. There was one commercial where she expressed her desire for me by blinking "I want you BGZ!" in morse coded eye blinks. That was sweet!

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What's even worse are the car ads where a car is driving down the street and it has the same disclaimer. Thanks, litigious society!

The ad that drives me nuts is for Visa (I believe) and shows a bunch of people using debit cards, and then someone pays cash and the line screeches to a halt. What drives me nuts about this is that it's 180 degrees different than what happens in the real world -- the guy using the debit card at 7-Eleven for a $1.49 purchase keeps everyone else waiting.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Completely agree with you on the Visa ad. Especially because the whole thing promotes avoiding human interaction, and one ups the evil by hocking fast food as well.

Edit: spelling

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Look, honey! I spent $60K on a new car! I didn't consult you about this important financial decision because I care for you!

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

But the car he bought for his mistress cost $150K.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not to mention that debit-card use gets the banks off the hook, in so many ways . . . while hoisting the holder on ye olde petard . . .

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yeah but I want strangle any fucker that pulls out a checkbook in any situation when other people are waiting.

My card is faster because in many cases (under 10 bucks I think) I do not have to sign anything.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That I can agree with. Checks are for bills and rent. Using one out at the grocery store in a long line of hurried people ain't exactly kosher.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only thing I use a credit card on is fuel. And I pay the balance off. I'll use my bank debit card at the supermarket.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

And look, it has a big red bow on it, so it's OK!

Draft saved Draft deleted