1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parade Magazine Pulls An Albom?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 6, 2008.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

In today's paper, we not only ran the top of A1 promo, but also had a story explaining how it happened with a tease to that as well.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Always good to see what Franklin Mint is putting out...it's a Dale Earnhardt #3 limited-edition locomotive! Remember The Intimidator with this meticulously detailed choo-choo train. Payable in four installments of $39.99.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

AP story on this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080107/ap_on_re_us/bhutto_magazine_cover_1

I guess them's the breaks when you print 2 1/2 weeks in advance. Doesn't much matter for the celeb-does-good covers. But when they dabble in news...

FWIW, my paper ran a correction in Sunday, a couple of sentences in the little correction box on page 2. No editor's note or anything, just a little note where few ever look saying, oh, by the way, that big magazine in the middle of the Sunday ads is totally wrong.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Non the less it was an interesting story that did not portray Bhutto in the most flattering light. Parade stories usually have a lot of fluff but this one less so.

5. digger

digger New Member

I remember one of these a couple years ago and Brady was "In Step With'' someone who had died like a week or two earlier. (I don't remember who) I thought somebody somewhere had screwed up.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Our paper ran a p1 teaser/explanation on Saturday, which was good, but I don't think we had anything about it on Sunday, which was not so good.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think readers will get that the magazine was published before she died. Asking the papers not to run it at all would've been an advertising nightmare. I once ran an ad in Parade and the approval process was a nightmare....they are very picky about things and don't just accept any ad....not to mention it was a fortune.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My paper had something in the Sunday rail.

Um, yes readers do understand pre-printed. Underestimating readers is generally part of the news business, but we continue to do so.
    Parade is in over 400 papers and has a circulation pushing 33 million.
    You just can't pull 33 million copies.
    To think that you can, or that a single paper can "make" Parade redo an issue, or pull it reflects largely on the fact that most reporters and editors don't know a flying fuck about the newspaper or publishing industries.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'll agree. The story was worth the run no matter. Sheehy is legit and it was a good read and, as Boom said, not the "kneepads required" stuff they usually produce. Hell, despite it all, we should be applauding this. We constantly rail on all the pseudo-journalism that goes on. Parade tries to do some honest-to-goodness smart (important even) journalism and we should kill it because its unfortunate timing might confuse our readers? Jeezus ... most of these people probably need to be confused from their normal routine.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

As I posted on the other thread, I thought the timing of this made it quite powerful.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree Joe - the article really really opened my eyes to some things. I'd always felt that her legacy was more a result of good pr than reality and this was confirmed by what I read .

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

?1/4 ?µ?thor=digger link=topic=51349.msg1583831#msg1583831 date=1199719480]
    I remember one of these a couple years ago and Brady was "In Step With'' someone who had died like a week or two earlier. (I don't remember who) I thought somebody somewhere had screwed up.
    [/quote]

My favorite was an interview with Roger Ebert that said Gene Siskel was "resting comfortably" after surgery. Yeah, about as comfortably as he could, as he had died a couple weeks before.
    As for the Personality Parade, the wife and I have fun trying to spot the PR firm planted questions. It can't be a coincidence that they receive a letter about someone we haven't heard from in five years who just happens to be opening a movie/releasing a book that very week.

Draft saved Draft deleted