1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parade Magazine Pulls An Albom?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The "Personality Parade" inside the front cover is good for a laugh once in a while.

I remember a letter a few years back where a reader lamented how Martin Short had "really let himself go." The reader had, of course, seen "Jiminy Glick" on TV and didn't realize it was make-up. The editor let him/her down gently, but it was still hilarious.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, but those are all obviously gossip questions for old people.

"I grew up loving Hal Holbrook. What's he been up to?"
    "Holbrook has had a long and distinguished career, including most recently an infomercial for "Fisher Investments" in 2006. He's still happily married to former Designing Women star Dixie Carter, and is stepfather to her two children. They reside in BFE."

IT'S HAL FUCKING HOLBROOK!

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

OUTING ALERT: IJAG is Walter Scott (editor of Personality Parade).

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Readers don't care if it's pre-printed. This makes Parade look totally brain-dead. And, by extension, us (my paper's name is at the top of the cover, on which it appears we don't know the biggest news in the world for the last 10 days has happened).
    Either pull the thing and put a letter in its place (maybe even with the inane celeb updates), or make Parade re-do it. But you can't just run it and, what, hope no one notices. That's asinine. Yet, of course, it's what papers did.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Our paper had an editor's column on it yesterday and then today, a huge a1, above the fold promo.
    When you print a month in advance, these things can happen.
    I bet more people read it because of Bhutto's death. It was a good piece.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

An Albom????

I wouldn't consider this the same as that.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No f-----g excuse. If several people get their asses fired over this, I have no sympathy.

Here we are six days into the new year and we already have a lock for Clueless Moron of 2008.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You have no idea how hard this made me laugh.

"I grew up loving Tony Randall. What's he been up to lately?"

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The best, saddest part? I actually looked up Hal Holbrook on imdb to find his latest credit (and to make sure he was still alive).

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That's good stuff, right there.

The best part of Parade is "InStepWith" by James Brady. It's like The Onion, but for real and always loaded with self-referential pap. From today's interview with Randy Jackson: "I had coffee with judge Randy Jackson (he took mint tea) at a Manhattan hotel the other morning to talk."

Oh yeah, our local paper had a note on the cover ... bottom corner. Probably should have been higher as my wife didn't notice it and about shit herself when she got to Parade.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

YES!!! That guy always manages to make the story about him. Thank goodness he didn't interview Bhutto. That would have been awkward.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I met the lovely leader of Pakistan's opposition party at an Islamabad deli ...

Draft saved Draft deleted