1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parade Magazine Pulls An Albom?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is the link to their cover story online....

http://www.parade.com/benazir_bhutto_interview.html

And while I didn't open up my dead tree edition at home yet, I'm told none of the disclaimer or anything else is in the printed version. That it essentially talks about Bhutto in the present tense as if she's not only alive, but poised to win an election this week.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She wore green?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Preprinting's a bitch.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The promos that were running ROP this week for the interview alluded to her assassination. Like Mr. Hecht said, it's probably a pre-printing issue (I'm pretty sure they print a couple weeks in advance).

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

How could it be when it was preprinted?

I think the papers I've seen, including mine, that run Parade refer to it in promos as "one of her last interviews" and things like that.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

if this is pulling an Albom, does that mean Bhutto's one of the five people you meet in heaven?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck when you go to press? When something like this happens, call all the copies back and re-do it. If that results in there being no Parade (or one sans a cover story) this week, so be it.

8. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I think the pre-printing for Parade is crazy...I seem to recall hearing in school they print a month or so in advance because of the sheer volume of making all those color inserts. It seems like every year or so, something like this happens on a smaller scale, like listing the birthday of a celebrity who died two weeks ago. The Bhutto thing is pretty bad, because it's the cover story.
    Does anyone even read that thing anyhow? The only time I look at it is when they have the photo essay on what people make.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Try running that by the corporate beancounters who don't understand (or care about) the realities of the news business and only understand concepts like bottom line, budget, and profit, and only then in the short-term sense.

I agree that, in a perfect world, your suggestion should have been followed. Alas, this world, especially as it pertains to print media, is anything but.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Parade is printed a good bit in advance.

If you kept Parade out of the paper, a lot of people would be upset and justifiably so. People read that for the gossip Q-and-A and for other items. That wouldn't be right and would be unfair to readers. The best way to handle it wold be with a note on Page 1 of the Sunday paper to readers, explaining the situation with printing times and noting the magazine was prepared before Bhutto's assassination.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ask Marilyn, people! The only reason I ever read a Parade growing up.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On second thought, you guys are probably right. Methinks they probably should have at least inserted a letter from Parade's publisher explaining the situation into each copy.

Like the sports section, comics, classified, crossword, etc., there are probably people who read Parade and only Parade in the Sunday paper, so I don't think putting an advisory on the front of the paper is sufficient.

Draft saved Draft deleted