1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papers Pulling Next Week's Doonesbury

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Zeke12, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He has had numerous war story lines, Boom.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I only read "big boy" papers so I don't get to see his work.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should subscribe to the Podunk Press.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Well, one, you'd have a consistency issue where you're moving it when you think it's too offensive for comics and you're setting yourself up for inconsistency as well as open questions about what crosses the line and what doesn't.

Second, how easily do papers accept op/ed writing that's slanted to either side of the abortion debate? I think some would tip toe around some of the wording in those cartoons even in copy, or at least try to provide a point/counterpoint type of presentation.

I'm not sure that really is in the realm of the traditional comics section, however.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You just named the two best newspapers in the country, and the top three in circulation. So, yeah, the best and the biggest papers do not carry the funny pages.

But, I was also speaking to Boom, who lives in the New York tri-state area, which means he'd have to either read the Daily News or maybe a suburban Gannett paper to read Doonesbury in a local paper.

And, compared to the Times or Journal, no, they are not "big boy" papers.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd stop digging now before you can't tunnel out.

7. YankeeFan

How so?

If you think running Family Circus, Ask Heloise, and horoscopes provides your readers with a valuable service, go ahead and run them.

But, don't be surprised when folks don't think of your paper as your city/town's definitive source for news.

Broadcasters have lost audience to cable networks that have a narrow focus.

If newspapers want to be all things to all people, they will, and have, suffer/suffered the same fate.

Do the Washington Post, LA Times, and Boston Globe have enough original content/reporting, and a big enough audience, brand, and history to maintain a "big boy" reputation?

Probably (though they've lost readership). Is your paper in that situation?

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least according to Stephan Pastis, the guy who does Pearls Before Swine, comic readers basically consist of the elderly, kids and shut-ins, so I can understand why they would censor the Doonesbury comics. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but Pastis has mentioned that anytime he uses relatively benign words (damn, ass as @$$, god in any context) his syndicate will get a flood of complaints, nevermind meta stuff like killing Cathy or having Osama Bin Laden hanging out with The Family Circus gang.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The vast majority of "big boy" papers -- with circulations of 250,000 or more -- run comics.

The three papers you cite all have unique, national readerships.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I do except I also read the big boy tab - The New York Post.

The local papers can all be read in 3 minutes literally. If there is a story I want to read I can find on line.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Haven't papers moved strips like this to the Op-Ed page when the subject matter warranted? I'm working off memory here, so I may be wrong.

12. YankeeFan

And, in 2012, is that helping or hurting their brands?

It's a serious question too. What should a newspaper be in 2012?

Draft saved Draft deleted