1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papers Pulling Next Week's Doonesbury

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Zeke12, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know if Doonesbury has ever been quite like that. Political, yes. Graphic, without a hint of subtlety and with the word "rape"? You'd have a hard time finding anything close.

Tough call. But, and I don't mean to turn this solely into a THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!! issue, but my sons are 12 and 9 and look at the comics every day. It's the #1 reason we still get the paper, in fact. I don't particularly feel like explaining rape and slut and transvaginal to them next week, so I guess I'll make sure to lose the comics page.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your 12 and 9 year old read Doonesbury? Most 49-year-olds don't.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't blame these newspapers or LongTimeListener at all. Doonesbury often is very, very political and polarizing, but I don't recall it ever getting so sexually descriptive.

And TheSportsPredictor, these strips easily could catch the eye of someone who never reads Doonesbury.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I got to talk to my editors about this on Friday, since I'm on the news desk and paginate the opinion page (where we put Doonesbury and Mallard Fillmore).

A part of me would have liked to have been a little brave and run them, but I could understand my editors' decision not to run them when I took a look. I'm not one to find too much humor "over the line" but I did find myself raising an eyebrow over a couple of those strips when our photo tech showed them to me: The aforementioned one that used the "rape" term, and, though it was a little more subtle, the one where the legislator was telling the woman they needed to talk about the unborn child's hopes and dreams and the woman said "if he's dreaming of being the next Rick Perry, then I've definitely made up my mind."

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Editorial-page / online at best, this time around . . . but the Rick Perry line is great.

Feeding off 9/11 and its unfortunate aftermaths, Trudeau's had a great ten years.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The decision not to run these is just silly. All it does is create the image a newspaper is afraid of its own shadow. That's not a selling point. It'd be as if Sports Illustrated had killed the swimsuit issue in 1965 because people canceled their subscriptions.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All that language appears elsewhere in the paper if the paper is covering this issue.

And I understand why Romenesko has to to do it here, but is there anything less funny than seeing jokes described?

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have been reading Doonesbury since the 1970s, and I am a huge fan.

But I would say that these strips -- at leats as described -- sound worse than about anything I have ever seen.

My thought is that if it's on your editorial page, you leave it, but I can see not running it on the comics page.

I think some of his work, especially the stuff on wounded and traumatized veterans, is brilliant.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's an incredibly lame argument for putting it on the Comics page. Words don't have the same impact as visuals, for one, and the Comics audience is widely different from the audience reading the news coverage.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do any of these newspapers have ads for titty bars?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't understand how any newspaper that ran the Muhammad cartoons would then not run these.

Oh, wait...

Draft saved Draft deleted