1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papers and the Net: a poll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Mar 31, 2007.

?

Regarding newspapers and the Internet....

1. Newspapers should ignore the Net and focus on what they do best.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Newspapers should melt down the presses and be a Net product.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Newspapers should exist, but post all their print stories on the Web.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  4. Newspapers should exist, and they should post only a sampling of their stuff on the Web.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well....?

2. I voted for C.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I also voted for C, but I don't think that poll offers all the choices. I think newspapers should exist in print, but offer something different in the online content. More photos, blogs, and other features would give the stories that are printed on the net a little more exposure, in my opinion.

4. Agree. It works at our paper.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

At one stop, because the boss had so little regard for my beats and usually jobbed me on space, I would make sure to lay out the page on which my stuff would go and cut it to fit the page with a bug that said "for more on this story, go to www.podunkpressonline.com." Then I'd go over to the online cubicle and give them the full version to post. Just a thought...

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think that's how it should be, but since I'm not the boss at the web site for which I work, I don't get that choice. Instead, we do the exact opposite. We enhance stories with multimedia elements, but with the exception of the newspaper stories, we put shorter versions of the stories on the web. The newspaper only posts the version that was in the paper and no more.

They don't get many multimedia elements added to their stories, either. I'm not sure how management at the newspaper feels about convergence, but I know they're so swamped at night that adding those elements would probably cause a revolt in the newsroom. I don't know about news (because I always read their stories online) but I know the sports section regularly teases both the television station and newspaper with refers.

Draft saved Draft deleted