1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on deck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yep. They're scum trying to justify their actions. I could say more, but I'm being nice today.

2. Well, these guys are obviously lowlives, but why else would they have beaned the kid if not to uphold some twisted sense of honor?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on d

Just because they use that excuse doesn't mean they have a clue what they're talking about, and it doesn't mean it has anything to do with baseball's "unwritten rules."

Extreme example, but it's like blaming the entire religion of Islam because some twisted fuckers have perverted it to justify their murderous acts of terror.

No, coach, you're NOT upholding "the code." You're just a fucking scumbag.

4. I agree, Buck. I'm just saying, they didn't make up what they thought the rules were after they ended the guy's career. They misunderstood the unwritten rules from the start.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

There may have been, in fact, one of baseball's many "unwritten rules" that is applicable to this incident. It in no way condones the barbaric act of intentionally throwing at a hitter's head, even a hitter in the batter's box. But it's in the lore.

In 1946 Hugh Casey of the Dodgers told the Cardinals' Marty Marion to stop taking timing swings at his warmup pitches. In reply Marion told Casey, in effect, STFU. Casey's next warm-up pitch came at Marion's head, missing as Marion dove to the ground. Marion was reported to be standing six feet from the batter's box -- not the 24 feet of Molina; he was reported to be purposefully timing pitches -- Molina wasn't even paying attention, and Marion was engaged in argument with the man who had the ball -- Molina did no such thing.

The story is in Paul Dickson's new book, "The Unwritten Rules of Baseball," with credit given to a Stew Thornley essay in SABR's online discussion group of August 6 2001.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

One doesn't mean "many." It's very, very rare.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on d

Good stuff, Dave. I need that book. (Are you in SABR, btw?)

FYI to anyone interested: the SABR-L listserv is worth the price of membership alone.

I believe the old quote goes, "It wouldn't be a Cardinals-Dodgers game if a couple guys didn't get knocked down." That rivalry was vicious in the '40s.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hellloooooo ... any other journalists out there other than Rick?

Of course we know Christensen was a dick. I remember this like it was yesterday.

But didn't it occur to any of you how one-sided and amateurish this story was?

"... he was the victim of one of the most heinous acts ever carried out on a baseball field ..."

If the writer's going to pull out that kind of heavy artillery, he sure as hell had better report it straight down the middle, without editorialization.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Must be some kind of Kansas thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted