1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on deck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

According to the story, his vision went from 20-10 to 20-400.

Amazingly enough, I worked with someone -- a Wichita State alum -- who to this day defends Christensen because of the "code." Of course, with most issues, we never saw eye-to-eye anyway.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I remember something like this happening at a high school game quite awhile ago. While the pitcher was warming up, the next batter had moved up to just outside the batter's box, not in the box, but pretty close to it.
    I don't think the pitcher drilled him, but he did buzz him.
    I remember a big argument at an all-region selection meeting, one side saying the pitcher was an asshole for doing it, the other side saying the batter deserved it.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

A few weeks ago after the Shockers lost to Oklahoma, Stephenson went up to a reporter who was joking around with other reporters and said, "What the hell is so funny?"

Then when the same reporter went to talk to others, Stephenson said, "Where you going?"

Guy seems to be getting a little looney in his old age.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Can we agree that many of these "unwritten rules" of baseball are horseshit?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There were bloodstains on the artificial turf 29 feet away from home plate, and, I believe, about a foot or two away from the on-deck circle.

I've dealt with Gene Stephenson before. He's a prick still getting by on his national title 20 years ago.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You know, of course, according to the "Unwritten Rules," if the Team A pitcher "buzzes" a Team B batter standing outside the batter's box, what happens the next time the Team A catcher comes up (or especially the pitcher, if he's batting)?

Bzzzzz! Head over heels. :eek: :eek:

7. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

I covered a few of Molina's games when he was a high-school head coach. Good dude. Little intense, but that's the way he played too. He and I traded vision tips because I suffered the exact same injury when I was in junior high. Not someone throwing at me intentionally, but getting hit there with the same results.

As for Stephenson, I've spent time with just about every coach in the Valley, the Big 10 and the Big 12. There is not a bigger douche than that guy. When they were in Peoria last month, he looked like he'd come straight from Big Al's and after a comfortable win over Bradley, he acted like the goddamn Braves had just 10-runned his squad. Fuck him.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

And the burro upon which he rode.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are few characters more obnoxious in all of sports than the bush-league/minor league/college/high school/club team baseball/softball coach who thinks he's the godson of fucking Leo Durocher and Billy Martin, uses "the code" to justify acting like a world-class prick to everybody he meets, and rubs this attitude off on all his players.

Hey, Mr. Baseball, if you were really that much of a baseball stud, why ain't you managing in The Show? Huh?

You know these guys: the fuckers who spit tobacco juice on your shoes while you're trying to do a postgame interview.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Those clowns need to get a new perspective in life and realize the collateral damage the "code" inflicts, namely ruining one guys life. The public needs to stop empowering those clowns too and make them go back to the hole them came from rather than showing them with adulation.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Take a bat to his pitching arm and break it.

12. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Here's a Kindred column from back in the day:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_27_223/ai_55198802/

Draft saved Draft deleted