1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on deck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would have ejected both him and the manager without a warning if I were umpiring that game.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember that story very well. I don't wish ill will upon many, but I was so glad to see Christensen's career flame out.

The whole aspect of him throwing at a guy in the on deck circle, and his coaches actually backing him on it was bad enough, but Christensen earned my eternal hatred by a comment he made at some point in the legal proceeding concerning the lawsuit. A reporter cornered him outside the courthouse to get a quote, and Christensen started giving a lecture about how Molina should get a bible and read the part in there about forgiveness. Yeah, Ben, too bad the Good Lord didn't put something in there explicitly forbidding a person to hit someone in the head with a thrown ball.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I remember it clearly. 3 days after Columbine.

A pretty fucked up week.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

OTR knows much better, but to this day, extra security is needed when Wichita State goes to Evansville.

Gene Stephenson is a cockbag of the highest order. He was also alleged to be stalking some woman a year or two ago.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Gosh, I agree with Hondo.. the on-deck circle is for timing the pitches. WTF? That's why it is where it is. If you were just swinging a bat and loosening up it wouldn't be situated where you can, you know, study the pitcher.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hate to be an uberstickler for details, but he wasn't in the on-deck circle. He was much closer to the plate than that. That was his imaginary-code offense.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

OK. That's fine.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm curious to hear Buck Weaver's thoughts on this.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on d

Pretty obvious, isn't it? The pitcher's a scumbag who should have been kicked out of baseball.

Pure bush-league, and borderline assault.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Good. Thank you.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ain't no unwritten law against timing a pitcher from the on-deck circle. That's why it's there, geez.

If you want to send a message with some chin music, for whatever reason, at least wait until he's in the goddamn batter's box. ::)

Whole different kind of transgression when the guy's not even paying attention to you. That's intent to do serious, serious harm. I'd even go so far as to say Todd Bertuzzi wasn't as vicious as Christensen. This was the equivalent of a hockey player turning around and firing a slapshot ... at a guy on the bench.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Likewise, his chickenshit cocksucking coach, Gene Stephenson. Motherfucker kept his job. Gutless bastards at Wichita State.

Draft saved Draft deleted