1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Paper" related question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CapeCodder, Apr 25, 2007.

1. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Watching the end of "The Paper" on one of the 18 different HBO's I have, and I started thinking of a logistical question. How many copies of the Sun with "Gotcha" as the main story hit the streets that morning, and how many copies of the Sun went out with "They Didn't Do It"?

Consider these points:

Bernie told Alicia that she worked for the sixth-largest paper in America earlier in the film (which would put the Sun circulation at just under 950,000, according to infoplease.com). Chuck said that roughly 95,000 papers had already hit the streets by the time Alicia got back to the office after leaving the party, roughly 10 p.m. It was roughly an hour until Alicia ordered the replate from her hospital bed (she went to the Bear's Head, and then was shot by Sandusky), which would make it 11 p.m. before the replate was authorized. And Alicia was reading "They Didn't Do It" in her hospital bed after the operation at just before 7 a.m. the following morning. (Henry and Marty are together in the hospital bed listening to 1010 WINS when the clock rolls over to 7 a.m. at the end of the movie)

My guess was just under half the run had "Gotcha," while roughly 55 percent or so had "They Didn't Do It." (FWIW, the font on the back page totally doesn't match the font on the front. And can anyone tell me the sports lede in the Sun that morning?)

And yes, I have no life.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Don't know, but I hope they used a different dick graphic.

The one they had at the budget meeting looked like a map of Florida.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And hopefully they managed to find eight inches for Nazis. Although they had to 86 Bahrain.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It was nine inches for Nazis, I think. I could be wrong.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The easy answer is that it would vary from night to night. If there's a web break or two on the presses, they have to stop to fix it, delaying the run, so replates will make more papers. Or not. If they have press problems, it could also mean that they are so far behind, they ain't stopping for a replate until they absolutely have to (STOP THE PRESSES!)

The Paper's press scenes were actually filmed at Gannett Westchester's plant, the NY Daily News' plant at the time being too decrepit for a film. Westchester had Goss Metroliners, which have a top speed of about 60,000 copies per hour. A major metro would have more than one line of presses, but not all of them would be used on a given night, or for the entire run on any night.

So, in short, it would be hard to say.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not to thread...uh...boost, but no way those braless-women-hating Nazis have nine inches

7. Do you have another word for timewaster?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was this the movie that had a huge paper but no photogs? Michael Keaton was in it?

I just remember thinking a paper that size had to send this green photog for the perp walk shot? No other photogs at this paper at all?

All the Presidents Men
    The Insider
    Absence of Malice

Those are the only three media-ralted movie I can think of that I thought were worth anything.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've got another word for all of them. Now get out the way.

10. [​IMG]

"Take Hitler and stick him on the funny pages!"

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Then keep your dick out of my ashtray.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"I DON'T LIVE IN THE FUCKING WORLD. I LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY."

Draft saved Draft deleted