1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper refuses to cover rodeo with restrictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Actually rodeo is still very big in Denver, ranking among top five rodeos on the circuit. It is a major fianncial boost to economy each January, when Denver hotels, restaurants and retailers have positive cash flows in normally slow month.

As for college rodeo, the late Chirs LeDoux, former world champion bronc rider turned country sinker, compete on broncs for U of Wyoming.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A lot longer than BYH ... well, you know.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If being told where we could sit and where we needed to be to be able to talk to participants were grounds for not covering something, there would hardly be a college or pro event covered in this country.

There is a big difference between the media folks trying to manage what you write or shoot and trying to manage where you can be and who you can speak to.

The second is par for the course and you work around it as best you can.

Now, if the rodeo folks tried to claim ownership of any images or depictions from their little arena, I would tell them to get gored. But this is not a big deal.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I thought LeDoux just rodeod for Casper College. Either way, he was a great cowboy and singer.

5. My mistake. He actually transfered from Casper College to Eastern New Mexico, and had rodeo scholarships to both schools. He then won a world title, selling his 8-track CDs at the rodeo concessions stands. He would often be the warmup act for Ricky and the Red Streaks at the Hitching Post during Frontier Days.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stephenville ... A great town to visit a couple of times a year. There's a restaurant/bar down the street from campus called Montana's that's pretty good, and of course there is Hard Eight BBQ. And Dublin Dr Pepper. Yes yes yes, Dublin Dr Pepper.

Don't know if I'd want to live there full-time, though.

7. partain

partain Member

Yes, we do miss Dublin Dr Pepper. When we (my wife worked there as news editor) were there, Montana's was one of the few decent places to eat. So we ate there a lot, and quickly got sick of it. But in a lot of ways I liked the town. Had I not worked four months without a day off and been working an average of 12 hours a day, I might have stayed more than six months.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Tangent: How can the PBR not have PBR as a major sponsor?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association: http://www.collegerodeo.com/

10. jps

jps Active Member

the pride of kaycee, wyoming. great little town.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You would think so, wouldn;'t you...

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Was there any resolution to this or response from the rodeo officials?

Draft saved Draft deleted