1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper refuses to cover rodeo with restrictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Check it out. I know it's a bit south of you, but in Cowtown, N.J., just outside of Philadelphia, they have the oldest weekly rodeo in the country, runs every Saturday in the summer.

PBR has some big shows in NE, including:
    Built Ford Tough Series
    May 1-3, 2009, Wooster (Ma) Classic
    Oct 16-18, 2009 Mohegan Sun Invitational Presented by Cooper Tires Uncasville, Ct.

Enterprise Event Series
    January 24-25, 2009 Bridgeport, CT Bridgeport, CT
    June 6-7, 2009 Providence, RI Providence, RI
    June 27-28, 2009 Manchester, NH Manchester, NH

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cowtown, NJ? Of course, with a name like that, it HAS to have a rodeo!! :)

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The big rodeos like the ones in Mesquite and Cheyenne and Shawnee, Okla.? Absolutely.

I'm talking the ham-and-egger circuit. It's like they're allergic to media coverage. The individual cowboys and cowgirls are no problem; but getting results from rodeos is like herding opossums.

Texas has a state high school rodeo at which numerous locals do well, but we don't get results and the participants don't seem to care whether or not they make the paper. I'm like, huh.

4. truer words have never been spoken

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To where? Hamburger University?

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can't say I've ever had a rodeo I've covered be media-unfriendly, but then I haven't been to one outside of the Columbia Basin circuit (save one CNFR).

That said, people who run sporting events are demanding more and more control over where news providers' content gets distributed. You had the WIAA case, the AP, AFP and Reuters all refused to cover the first Indian Premier League season (the most lucrative in all of cricket) before working out a last-minute deal this year, and now Australia's sports league want laws allowing them to tell news outlets what they can publish on the Internet.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/world/article/16701.html

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone cover college rodeo? My alma mater has a team.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We have college rodeo here and high school club teams.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

How is it not a sport? I would take man against animal any day over man against machine, for example, auto racing.

Football Bat, I completely agree about results. When it's possible to get them, the results are often in the wrong format. My former shop where I covered rodeo ran results when we got them, but most often we would find features at the rodeo and stick with those. Unless it's a major rodeo, the results / money won doesn't matter too much.

Stitch, I used to cover college rodeo, and was at one yesterday and going back today.

10. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Got a writer doing a feature on a college rodeo team. We both know next to nothing about rodeos except that Garth Brooks likes to sing about them. Don't think I can put "Damned Ol' Rodeo" in a headline, though.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's weird with rodeo is that a lot of areas that were big on rodeo are just bland suburban neighborhoods now, like areas around Phoenix, greater LA area, and Denver.

Ty Murray went to my high school when it was mostly a dusty stretch of desert of the outskirts of Phoenix, but he graduated a couple of years before I started high school.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Subjective judging for non-timed events, maybe?

At least with calf roping and barrel racing, there's a time to beat and so it's easy to determine a winner. Bull riding, saddle bronc riding, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted