1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper refuses to cover rodeo with restrictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Of the two rodeos we cover, one is really nice to us and one is a bit obnoxious, but overall pretty friendly.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In an unrelated note, I'm drafting an editorial right now about how my paper will also not be covering this rodeo event. Mainly, because it's the fucking rodeo. :)

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I have to agree with I_W and Angola. Granted, I live in a state where rodeo is huge, but I've always found rodeo to be one of the easier sports to cover. They enjoy the coverage and cowboys and girls are some of the nicest people around. They might not give the best quote, but they are accessible and very respectful.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Have you been to a rodeo or covered one before?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd guess not. I always thought the rodeo was dumb, until I actually went to one. It was fucking amazing. Standing on the chutes with the bulls a foot away from you is much different than seeing it on ESPN2.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Except that guy who was an asshole to Tyra.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've always found them to give great quotes, mainly because they haven't been taught the cliches while riding around the minors by a crusty catcher who had a cup of coffee in the bigs.

8. DKIA

DKIA Member

These small rodeos need to take a few lessons from the PBR, which is absolutely great to deal with.

"Do you want to talk to Justin now or wait until he's getting his stitches?"
    "How about a beer or something to eat while you're waiting?"

If it was that way everywhere......

9. schiezainc

Here's the thing. We're in New England. Not a lot of rodeos out here and even if there were, it's not a sport.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I couldn't remember if you were in NE or Michigan, either way, probably not big rodeo country.

It's a fun sport to cover, though. Like I said, I use to knock it all the time until I actually went.

11. schiezainc

See, I feel the same way. I'm sure if I went I'd love it. I haven't gone to it yet though so until then I will make fun of it. :)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, a rodeo there would be a story itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted