1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper refuses to cover rodeo with restrictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Apr 17, 2009.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

"You only cover us when a spectator gets gored!"

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

I feel sorry for the bulls. They work really hard and now they'll lose their chances for scholarships.

3. the story said the paper covered an incident last year when a bull injured somebody in the crowd i think?

i have mixed feelings about this

the overly long editorial failed to succinctly express precisely how the paper's coverage would be sacrificed. can't imagine they'll get much sympathy from anybody

kind of thinking ... shut up and go cover the damn cowboys

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

And write a story on the mediia wranglers if they are really intrusive/insulting, and true handicaps to doing your job. Or at least an editorial or something, basically do what those who sell ink by the barrel (and don't sell words in cyberspace) do -- get the last word.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whatever the reason, the paper is taking a pretty big stand. Most rodeos like this have a couple of heavyweight local sponsors who like to pressure the local paper to cover it. In a lot of cases, the only reason a local paper gives a rodeo actual coverage is because of the local sponsors dropping a call to the publisher.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Solid. :)

But if there's a junior competition as part of this event, you can be damned sure there are parents who are now having the same worries about their little cowboys and cowgirls.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

There had to be a reason for a paper to refuse to cover the rodeo? [/dead. to. SC]

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Just to take a step back: It's rodeo. I know it's on ESPN sometimes, and yes, it can draw a crowd in some parts of this country, but from an ethics standpoint, it's a rung above the Dana White deal a few weeks back.

9. Not too impressed with the way the rodeo organizers are handling things, but if the event needs to be covered I always thought that we had to adjust and work around silly barriers put in our way.
    Sounds to me like this is more a convenient excuse for not covering something that the folks who run the paper don't want to cover but they want to blame someone else for their decision instead of accepting responsbility for the actions.
    I am not saying it should or shouldn't be covered, but to pout over limitations of access? There are a lot of things that wouldn't get covered if the media chose not to be at an event because it didn't like accommodations provided.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Being a rodeo would be a great reason.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kind of tough to adjust and work around the issues when the other party won't even respond to your concerns, much less address them.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Really? Here in Redneckistan, they bend over backward for us.

"Do you want your photographer to go out in the arena with the bullfighters?" "Would you like the cowboys to come to you immediately after they leave the arena floor or can you give them a few minutes to cool down?"

Draft saved Draft deleted