1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper refuses to cover rodeo with restrictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Apr 17, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kudos to the management of the Redding, CA Record Searchlight

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/apr/17/why-were-not-covering-the-round-up-rodeo-a-note/

For the first time anyone here can remember, the Record Searchlight today won't have any journalists inside the rodeo arena at the Red Bluff Round-Up.

We have raised serious practical and ethical concerns about the new "ground rules" the Round-Up Association has established to "manage" our coverage, and have received no sign from its leadership or media representatives that they're willing to discuss the matter.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

First real interview out of college was with a Red Bluff radio station. Guy paid for me to take a Greyhound there and back, and we met at a kickin and a grinnin coffee shop. Not all of California swims in a blue political sea.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Was that the station with the oh-so-country call letters: KALF?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's a fuckin' rodeo. They should be so happy to have any coverage, they should let the media ride horses from the parking lot to the arena. And do they really think they're going to hide the facts the next time a bull jumps into the stands?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Media wranglers"? Yeah, you stay classy rodeo.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I love the first comment I read:

I think sometimes no media is a good thing...If it was not for the liberal media and some of those idiots on tv shows like Letterman, Obama would have never won the election.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hmmm..... having worked on both sides, I can see both arguments here.

I understand the paper doesn't want to be manipulated and wants the freedom to cover what it deems fit as news, whether it's a charging bull or whatever.

But, as anyone who has ever covered hard news can attest, being a reporter does not give you carte blanche to go wherever, whenever. Not at a crime scene, a fire, or any other news story. Same is true for major league sporting events. There are plenty of areas that are off limits to working media. This being a private, or community, event, the managers have every right to control access as they see fit. So this is hardly the first time such has happened.

It surprises me that the two sides can't reach an agreement that is mutually beneficial. The rodeo obviously benefits from MOST of the coverage --- a bull charging toward spectators being a notable exception. And the paper benefits from being allowed to cover a major community event.

8. jps

jps Active Member

you're a cowboy?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, I've been a media relations professional before, however. I doubt the cowboys themselves were even consulted on said policy.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This policy is complete bullshit (pun intended).

Media wranglers? At a small rodeo? Has the paper done less than flattering stories on the rodeo in the past or something?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bull.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been working in papers for 15 years and I have never met a sport more media-UNfriendly than rodeo. Period.

Draft saved Draft deleted