1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper office to team office, is it plausible?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bl67550, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not that this has anything to do with the topic, but it's striking to me that to many young people the definition of forum is message board.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Ned Coletti, Dodger GM, was a scribe once, was he not? And is Chris Snow still working for the Minnesota Wild after giving up the Red Sox beat as a young phenom?

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

And if you're going to come into the JTO portion (or the jobs portion) of this site, asking for feedback/encouragement/assistance, you might trying putting your best foot forward (and making yourself more readable in the process).

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He was, although he has also deleted that part of his life from his extensive bio in the team media guide.

Frank Cashen (Orioles, Mets) and Fred Claire (Dodgers) were also former newspapermen.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Colletti covered the Flyers for one of the papers in Philly, the Bulletin I think. He then went to Chicago as asst. PR for the Cubs.
    Former Dodgers GM Fred Claire was a newspaperman at Pomona and Long Beach before going to the Dodgers in a marketing job, then took over as GM when Al Campanis was canned.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Fixed

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would like to say, however, that I think it is quaint that bl6 is not only assuming that he would get a good journalism job to leap from, but that he is concerned that he might want to come back to journalism one day after that.

8. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Say what now? Seriously, this has turned into a bash fest, and I really do not see where I instigated that. Why don't some of you actually act like the professionals you claim to be and lay off.

I came here for support, I can see I won't be getting that.

Thanks anyways.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is what I am saying. The industry is really struggling.

Your question seems to be that you plan to get a reporting job in a big city, jump to a pro team and wonder if you can get back into newspapers after that or if you will have burned a bridge, right?

I think it's naive, frankly, because lots of people have trouble getting any decent jobs at all.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Charlotte's not a bad idea, with all the NASCAR teams around, and all. They're all downsizing, just like we are in print media, but it's a better place for your plan to work than most.

11. bl67550

bl67550 Member

If I were to get a job with an actual team, I would not want to go back.
    My implication was that sports journalists and sports businessmen are on opposite sides, essentially a line drawn in the sand.
    I was wondering if you could actually maintain a career in writing all factors of sports, good and bad, and in doing so not risk alienating some members of the industry so badly that you could still feasibly make the jump over to their side one day.

12. bl67550

bl67550 Member

And thank you expendable for turning this back into the positive feedback type of thread I originally intended it to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted