1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper office to team office, is it plausible?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bl67550, Feb 22, 2010.

1. bl67550

bl67550 Member

So here's my plan.
    I figure I finish up in school in a few months, actually luck out and find a job in or around a major city (Charlotte, NC in this case) and from there work my ass off, build contacts and hopefully one day find an 'in' with an actual pro or semi-pro team.
    I love journalism, but if it stays like this, then its not a long-term career choice.
    What do you guys think, is this a legitimate possibility, or are teams and journalists so divided that I will inevitable burn that one bridge I might have crossed.
    Thanks

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It happens. Jack Brennan, Cincinnati Bengals, for example. Tom McMillan, Pittsburgh Penguins. Frank Brown, National Hockey League.

If you're going to work for a "semi-pro" team, you'd probably be better off at 7-Eleven.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Going from a newspaper to a team or league is no big deal if that's what you want to do.

Finding a newspaper job in or around a major city may be your stumbling block. You are probably better off trying to get hired at some low level job working for a pro team and working your way up.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Carolina Panthers GM Marty Hurney cover the Skins for the Washington Times?

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

no probably to it

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

David Kahn, GM of the T-Wolves, was a reporter at The Oregonian. How the Ricky Rubio situation plays out will give us a better idea of how we can judge Oregonian reporters on the whole.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

An apostrophe.

8. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Funny, as usual, I dont care, its a forum.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's a winning attitude.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

What happened to playing like we practice?

Practice? Practice? We're talkin' about practice?

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's also a forum for professional writers who are paid (poorly) to use the English language correctly.

Try taking that attitude of yours into the job market when you graduate and see how far it gets you. You know nothing. You will not be successful until you understand that.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

On the one hand, everything on here doesn't have to be Stepford writing. Then again, writers who can proofread their own work are becoming increasingly valuable. I think that's a key point here.

Draft saved Draft deleted