1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper blurs players who give "shocker" in team photo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by You're With Me Leather, Aug 30, 2007.

1. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3930&u_sid=10118493

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shocking decision.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm posting this purely for the sake of clarity.

Edit: Goddammit!

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Shocker is sooooooo 2006.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I would give the shocker to that cheerleader 2006 times.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I know of a girl who got suspended and subsequently left her volleyball team -- and a partial scholarship --when she flashed the shocker in the team photo shoot for the schedule poster last year.

Fucking stupid. Don't the coaches say anything? Tell them to put their hands behind their backs, for God's sakes.

8. I'm impressed by her ability to do the shocker without the use of the thumb to hold down the ring finger. I can't do that.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Memories ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, now. Did the paper do the appropriate thing? Why run an altered team photo and then name everyone? Why is it the newspaper's job to determine what is respectable or not?

We keep things out of the paper all the time and don't explain why we left out a letter or passed on a photo or didn't use a quote.

I think the paper acted was too subjectively. I would have either gone without the team photo or asked for the team to be reassembled to shoot it again (if it were that important) or demand the team provide one.

And I would have shown the AD or coach the photo in question if he asked why we were scrambling. Let them deal with it from that point.

11. I agree with Ace, paper should not have run photo with blurred images... No photo or reshoot.

On a related note:

Last season, I'm covering a high school football game on senior night.
    During halftime they are introducing the seniors and their parents. As they are making intros, the PA guy also reads the senior bios and a list of their best memories.
    One kid thanks his buddies for all the "Duck Butter memories."
    Don't know how many of you have ever heard of that, but I knew what it meant and my ears perked up immediately. The kids on the field were grinning from ear-to-freaking-ear .. the PA guy and most of the adults had no clue what the hell it was.

For those of you who don't know:
    According to the Urban Dictionary ... Duck Butter: The combination of sweat from the ballsac and anus that creates a buttery film on the grundle and butthole. occurring usually from an unwashed scrotum creating a smelly odor that worsens in thickness and odor by the minute. Also known as DB or Deeb.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted