1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper apologizes for gun records request

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 25, 2013.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not everybody can be as brave as this guy, but don't tell me a real newspaper can't make a difference in a corrupt, violence-prone backwater.

http://www.kentucky.com/2008/11/22/600788/letcher-journalist-was-watchdog.html

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Being threatened and intimidated is part of the job. Sorry.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This is awful. To think that the publisher wouldn't back up his staff. He ought to be ashamed of himself. What a coward.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In more news: The editor resigned after seven years on the job. Staying to help do layout until May. His wife is a teacher, and her job will be over then.
    The plan is to leave North Carolina but stay in the newspaper business.

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/02/26/editor-who-made-request-resigns/

5. How often do editors have to apologize to advertisers?

6. Tarheel316

That's a good point. And from what I've heard, it happens more than one might think.

7. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

He's trying to save his staff. You guys have no idea what you're dealing with in that county.

Easy to sit back and judge. A little tougher to actually walk in someone's shoes.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the business they chose. Aren't newspapers supposed to afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted, or is it the other way around? There can be no excuses for the institutional cowardice on display here. If there have been real threats, well, that's what the FBI is for.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

How, exactly, did legal conceal-carry permit holders become "comfortable" that need to be "afflicted" by having their names published?

10. Tarheel316

Save his staff by hanging the editor out to dry?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

An editor in Arkansas apologizes too.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/91084/my-learning-curve-gwen-moritz-editors-note?page=all

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hejira, the public has the right to public records. Period, full stop. I would have no beef if someone printed that I had a driver's license. Probate court, where the real nasty shit goes down, like divorces and inheritance fights, is all public record and newspapers use it all the time. The idea that some idiot's right to own a gun trumps every other right in the Constitution is pernicious nonsense and shows how much paranoia and cowardice drives the "gun rights" movement.

Draft saved Draft deleted