1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papelbon throws some high cheese at Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can see that too.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jones is not the only one in the sports media who fellates the Red Sox, or their players as it were.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Papelbon should realize people aren't too impressed by a guy who holds his fire until the target is thousands of miles out of range.
    But that shit plays well with Red Sox fans, who all have Chip Hilton disease, that is, they think ballplayers should come straight from boy's fiction. Many of 'em thought Ted Williams was a cancer, too.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well Jones sure was impressed.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Awesome job, Jonsey. Wish I was half the writer.

6. Michael_ Gee

Jones is a tremendous writer. Papelbon was a chump to say what he said, however. He will now be the go-to guy for writers in the clubhouse at the slightest whiff of team dissension because, hey, he's got a record of speaking out. That'll get old for him very quickly.

7. What Baseball-reference.com actually refers to is a 162 game average - the numbers a player would have if they played all 162 games of a season. That doesn't happen with Manny. The most games he's ever played in a season is 154 and he's only played as many as 150 games in a season 6-times in his 16-year career.

Manny will be 37 this season and the Dodgers will be lucky to have him for 140 games.

Oh and its his SLG that is .593 not his OBP

8. Michael_ Gee

If Ramirez plays 140 games, the Dodgers will be most content with their investment.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Papelbon's probably right, but I don't think there's much of a filter between his brain and his mouth.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed--though I'm not sure they'll get it.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It already has. When the Sox and Rays were at blows last season, Papelbon was the first to speak out saying, "We're only getting started." Or something along those lines.

12. I think Jones is an excellent writer but many times his facts and conclusions are confused. For example he starts this piece:

For the record - unlike Pedroia, Youkilis or Lester - the Red Sox have not signed Papelbon to a long-term deal. He has a one-year deal and even though it is for $6 million - that's not a big contract in MLB terms. It is true that Papelbon's contract is a record for closers at his stage of arbitration eligibility but it's also true (and something known by anyone who follows the Red Sox) that Papelbon is fixated on setting the contract standard for closers. This goal of Papelbon adds to his intensity not detracts from it which negates the lede Jones is tossing out there.

Maybe Jones was referring to Papelbon's "unguarded rage" when he asked if he would still be able to summon "it"? But even if that was true - what evidence is there that Papelbon has unguarded rage? Has he ever attacked anyone in a fit of pique? Papelbon is not Kevin Brown. Not even close.

I'm probably going to stay away from this thread because people will just accuse me of attacking Jones for the sake of it. I did have to point out that just because Jones has a viewpoint of a player - that doesn't make his viewpoint the truth. I think the less you know about a subject - the better the you are able to enjoy Jones' prose.

Draft saved Draft deleted