1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papelbon throws some high cheese at Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

According to baseball reference an average season for Manny is .314 avg, 41 hr, 133 rbi, 111 rs, 184 hits and a .593 OBP.

That sure as hell seems like playing the game the right way. I know there are far too many people on here who think character is all that matters in baseball players, but, I would take Manny on my team any day of the week.

Put him in the Dodgers lineup and he makes all the hitters better.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with you except for the last sentence.

Nobody makes Juan Pierre better.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I forgot about Pierre, which is something that a whole lot of Dodgers fans want to do.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I, too, agree with you on your points in terms of his offensive production, but I think a lot of people remember his last season in Boston where he just flat out refused to play and then faked an injury that then came out negative on an MRI which was the nail in the coffin for Manny in Boston.

Offensively, I'd take Manny any day of the week. But in terms of clubhouse atmosphere, his departure was the best thing that could have happened.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because every time Manny's acted up during the Red Sox playoff years, he's still performed down the stretch and in the playoffs. There's nothing in his track record to suggest the antics would have been reflected with a poor postseason performance. And for anyone who suggests 2006, the Red Sox were not contending for the playoffs when Manny sat out much of the final month.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker just killed a hobo and doesn't know why.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

If baseball was just fantasy baseball, you can't argue the numbers. Manny was an offensive juggernaut and gave the Red Sox with Big Papi two of the best hitters in the game. But when it comes to character, well, let's just say Manny was a character and leave it at that.

And he has a man-crush on Mark Texiera. Weird.

8. why? i don't get it ... as sports writers, this is the kind of stuff we love to get ... god knows we interview enough cliche mongers ... what's wrong with a guy who is outspoken?

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Spnited just punched a wall and has no idea why.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do people assume the Red Sox would have made or won the World Series if Manny was still there?

If he didn't get traded, he wasn't playing the last two months. One way or the other. Jason Bay could have hit .123-1-4 with 128 Ks in 142 ABs and he still would have been an upgrade over what Manny would have provided.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thread title is all wrong. It should read " Jones Fellates Papelbon" Geez .

Papelbon strikes me as being one step away from becoming John Rocker with the right questions.

12. times38

times38 Member

Manny Ramirez's teams have won seven division titles, four pennants and two World Series titles, been to the playoffs - at the very least - in all but three of his 14 seasons, and made it to the LCS seven times.

What a cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted