1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papelbon the sourpuss.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 15, 2008.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Diabeetus certainly didn't quantify it to this season.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Numbers-wise, though, K-Rod has been the best so far.

I'd go Papelbon in the 7th, K-Rod in the 8th and Rivera in the 9th.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KP, I don't think Diabeetus had to. This is basically an All-Star Game thread, so I thought it was assumed we're talking about performance this season. He never said anything about Soria having a better career or being better longterm than Papelbon.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Seems like a pretty simple statement. I didn't say "of all time" or "active career leaders" or anything like that. I just said in my opinion, I'd take any of those four before Papelbon.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The only number K-Rod has better than anyone is saves. And much like wins, that's like the eighth number to look at.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Every single time I think I can't possibly like Papelbon less, he goes and opens his mouth ... and proves me wrong.

7. KYSportsWriter

My dislike for the guy grew about 10 fold with that statement, whether or not he was joking.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Statements like this?

9. KYSportsWriter

No. Statements like this:

"We've both earned that right; us, by winning the World Series and having the opportunity of having our manager there and our team being represented, and Mariano by what he's done for this role, we're in Yankee Stadium and blah, blah, blah," Papelbon said. "It's not that easy. Everybody thinks it's a cut and dry answer, but it's not."

10. KP

KP Active Member

Every closer there has their own reason. The way they pitch in the ninth is why they are on the roster to begin with.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

All I'm saying is this: Everyone is tearing into KP for defending the Red Sox closer, a team of which he is a fan. Yet, everyone seems to be tearing into Paps because he is a Red Sox player and anymore Red Sox players are in the same boat as Yankees players, which means everyone hates them.

So, Paps says something stupid. I didn't agree with Paps initial statement either, of course, because I am a Rivera fan.

But the ridiculous thing was people jumping KP for saying Soria needs to prove himself "when it counts". And like I said, plenty of people on this site, love to point out that ARod sucks "when it counts", yet suddenly that argument no longer works if it is about someone other than ARod.

So, I guess I am saying, either stop bringing that argument up about ARod or don't get mad when KP brings it up.

It works both ways.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I guess that answers that.

Nathan for the 7th.
    Paps for the 8th.

I assume Rivera for the 9th, unless it is tied up.

K-Rod in case it goes extras.

Then Soria.

Draft saved Draft deleted