1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papelbon the sourpuss.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rivera's got my full respect.

Still would love to see him go in and see some NLer hit a 3-run dinger off him to give the NL the lead.

Just to see Hank Steinbrenner gag.

Yankee Baseball . . .

2. KP

KP Active Member

What part of that bold statement didn't you understand?

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If we're comparing careers so far, then of course the edge goes to Papelbon, but there's no denying Soria's had an absolutely fantastic year (and both my fantasy teams have benefitted :D).

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i can't believe i'm about to do this, but the only people acting like fanbois are the soria defenders. it's not yankee or red sox fans' problem that two of the best closers in baseball pitch for their teams. i think what kp was saying, though perhaps not in the best way, is this: soria has been dominant for this season. let's see him do it a few more years before comparing him to papelbon.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

also, i find it amusing when folks jump on kp for using the 'pitching when it counts' argument, but these are the same people who rip arod as a choker because he hasn't won a world series. fact is those who perform in the postseason are more highly regarded. until soria does it in the postseason or with his season on the line, it's hard for me to say he's as good as papelbon, career wise.

6. Is it really OK to post whole stories on this board and leave out the byline?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i'll admit, i wrote the story.

8. KP

KP Active Member

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

papelbon's a moron. great closer, but a moron. he said what he said. of course the ny tabs will have a feast on it. nowhere did he say he was effin' misquoted or anything. he owes his wife an apology, not the daily snooze.

crap, at least man up and admit you said it. what's his beef, exactly? that he said it and a NEW YORK paper jumped on it? gimme an effin' break.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What part of my statement a few posts back that Soria doesn't have Papelbon's track record did you not understand?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, actually what he was saying is that Soria's accomplishments were meaningless because they were on a bad team.

As I posted earlier, if you are going with just this year, Soria has been better than Papelbon. If you ask me which one I would want from here forward, I'll take Papelbon because he has proven it more.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Looking back, I can't find anyone who even remotely hinted at that, save for you. I've been consistent in saying Soria > Papelbon this season, as have others. But no one's gone further than that.

Angola, are you sure the Soria supporters are really the fanboi loosers here?

Draft saved Draft deleted