1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papelbon the sourpuss.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 15, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He did say he thinks he should be the one to pitch the ninth. If Papelbon was whining, then Rivera was lobbying.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Neither of them were doing any such thing. It appears much more likely that they were giving honest answers to questions from reporters.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If I'm a closer - Rivera, Papelbon, Soria, Rodriguez, whoever - I want the ball too.

Much ado about nothing.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Rivera answered a question. He didn't single out papelbon, calling him out by name, to make a case for himself.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but, This Time It Counts!

6. outofplace

Which is fine. I don't really think either comment is a big deal. My comment was more in response to the start of the thread.

Papelbon's comments were no more out of line than Rivera's.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

mlb's loving all this all-star b.s.

and i repeat, as i noted on the home-run thread, hamilton's a marvelous story. but i'll certainly let everyone apologize to my cynical butt when it comes out that the balls in home-run derby were juiced. think about it: why wouldn't they be juiced? it's a damn t.v. show.

to these cynical eyes it's like everyone ignoring the obvious about the steroids era 'cause all baseball fanbois don't want to disbelieve what they're seeing. mlb is simply trying to capitalize on its feel-good story after taking the steroid hit for so long.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Papelbon is maybe the fifth best closer in the AL. Rivera, Nathan, Soria and K-Rod are all better, IMO.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Nonsense. Rivera didn't utter Papelbon's name. Papelbon singled out Rivera. How is that not different?

10. outofplace

This year, I agree with you. And Rivera has been the best of them.

Overall, Soria doesn't have as much of a track record as Papelbon.

11. outofplace

Rivera didn't have comments from Papelbon to respond to.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Papelbon didn't have to single out Rivera or even be drawn into it.

He did, calling Mo out. so I don't see how they're the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted