1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panic on the streets of Birmingham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Will that new Wendy's sea salt work?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5 inches on the ground here today. Gonna get down to the minus single digits tomorrow and Tuesday.

Roads are easily passable. No snow days tomorrow. We call it winter.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

the other thing about driving in snow is, do everything slowly. If you're changing lanes, move the wheel gradually so you don't spin out. Brake easily.

I'm a pretty good winter driver and my biggest concern is other drivers, particularly yahoos in their 4WD's.

Worst day is the first snowfall of the year when everyone has collective amnesia and forgets basic driving tips

Mostly I like winter because of scenes like this. This is a neighbourhood in downtown Toronto (see the red streetcar in the background)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Got the e-mail from the higher-ups. We're working from home tomorrow.

Yay for snow!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you need a wake-up call? :)

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The ad staff gets a day off.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was in Israel a while back for their first blizzard in years. They had no clue - shut down the whole city. Saw numerous people out in 6-8 inches of snow with these squeegee type mops that they use to clean up after showers.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Isn't every day a day off for the ad staff?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Went to the grocery store today. Apparently the food of choice in a crisis around here is bananas. The manager said he was out of them by mid morning.
    Weird.

10. Well, the snow-pocalypse (or is it snow-mageddon?) has hit metro Atlanta now.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ooooh, good to find out others who live here.

I'm about a mile and a half north of the downtown area, and I've got a good 2-3 inches on my balcony rail. I can't see much because of how my apartment's situated, but it's coming down.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Still snowing out here (6 inches on the ground). No e-mail saying we're working from home.

Draft saved Draft deleted