1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panic on the streets of Birmingham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 9, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And lots of other places in the Deep South, for that matter.

We're getting lots and lots of winter weather Sunday that we are totally unprepared to handle. Predicting 3-6 inches of snow (which is bad for here) along with 1/4-1/2 inch of ice (which is bad for anywhere). Bread, milk and generators are long gone. Auburn fans with plans to fly out Monday are booking hotels next to the airport in case they have to walk to the plane. (God knows how they expect said planes to take off.)

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/01/snow_insurance_auburn_fans_boo.html

Everyone else is just praying the power and cable hold out, and God help the poor folks at the utility companies if they don't.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/01/auburn_university_football_fan.html#incart_hbx

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Loved the comment someone in our newsroom made tonight about people freaking out and buying bread, milk and eggs whenever there's the threat of bad weather:
    "What the hell are they going to do, bake a cake?"

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Roll Tide [/crossthread]

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

(Obligatory Northerner's comment making fun of Southerners freaking out about three inches of snow along with obligatory joke making fun of their driving skills in said conditions.)

There, I got it out of the way.

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Sounds like omelets with toast and milk to me.
    Please mention that to your newsroom genius. :)

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not out of the way yet. It's still hard to believe.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think some people need to pay attention when they drive. I spotted five cars rolled over on the Interstate yesterday, likely caused by distracted, drowsy or impaired drivers.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

We are predicted to get 8-10 inches AND ice. That is more than my 12-year-old daughter has seen in her lifetime. Honest.

In fact, the sled Santa brought when she was 4 got its first use after 3 inches of snow fell over Christmas last month. 8 YEARS LATER. The child and her friends had no idea how they were even supposed to sit on a sled.

Glad I requested to be off work to watch the national championship game Monday night.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SNOW IN SOUTHTOWN!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A foot of snow, even, is a problem for one day. Ice is awful, and the disruption (due to power outages) can last a week. Buy firewood, not milk.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Trying to get out ofB-Ham on a normal day can be a bitch at times. For what it's worth, temperatures are supposed to be above freezing by the week's end meaning whatever falls won't last for long.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This, truly, is the woosification of Confederate America. Where I live it's single digits outside and there's a damn blizzard going on. But the water pipes are well insulated, the main streets are plowed several times per day and life goes on pretty well as usual.

When I lived in the deep south, they used to shut the town down if the temp went below 40 degrees for more than three hours and there were a few snow flakes. I used to wonder how people who lived up north dealt with real winter weather. Now I know: they prepare.

Draft saved Draft deleted