1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panhandling in Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by partain, Dec 15, 2009.

1. partain

partain Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's just pathetic.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was going to spare some change for the Miami Herald until it said it needed it for diapers, gas money and bus fare home.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Wow.

When all the music downloading stuff started to heat up, there was one band (can't remember who it was for the life of me) set up a "pay what you want" deal for downloading their music. Surprisingly, it was quite successful, at least more so than you'd think.

Not sure if it will have the same effect with a newspaper though. I know it sounds like a crazy idea to publishers for some reason, but why don't they just charge for it in the first place?

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

In church, this is called a "free will" offering. At this point in our beloved industry's downward spiral, I don't blame the Herald for seeking new revenue streams short of a paywall.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Radiohead.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not seeking new revenue streams. Or telling readers to "donate or else," even if that's what it might really mean. Panhandling is the perfect term.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Can we assume that this guy will match the combined spare change from all the Herald's charitable users?

[​IMG]

He would seem to have some available dough, considering he didn't heed the Sacramento Guild's suggestion of a pay cut down to $500K:

Gary Pruitt's compensation as chairman and chief executive of The McClatchy Co. fell 40 percent last year, The Bee's owner said Tuesday. Amid a decline in profits and revenue, Pruitt's compensation fell to $2.8 million, down from $4.6 million in 2007, Sacramento-based McClatchy told the Securities and Exchange Commission.

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Ah, thanks. :) I was racking my brain trying to think of who it was.

10. Maybe we could pass a hat around the newsroom for Gary. Imagine, having to struggle to get by on $2.8 million. Makes my 7% pay cut seem paltry. Actually, makes our entire newsroom's salary seem paltry.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They could learn something from the people on the subway.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am homeless, but I do have a job and I am working hard so I don't end up in prison. I do work for a newspaper. Times are tough. Internet, falling circulation, advertising rates plummeting. But I'm working hard to get back on my feet. I've learned how to podcast and shoot video. Anything you can spare to help, whether it's a quarter, a dollar or a classified ad selling your car. Or even a sandwich, our sportswriters miss their free food. Please, good people."

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I only give money to newspapers that will be honest with me and tell me they're using the money to buy cheap vodka.

Draft saved Draft deleted