1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panhandle vacation plans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 2, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, Ms. Slappy, myself and a few others are planning a vacation in June.
    I got to pick the last two locations because of obligations; this one is hers.
    The plans, for reasons unknown to me other than that's where she and most of the others want to go, is Panama City Beach. We've been there several times before; it's familiar and functional.
    But there's that pesky, unregulated oil slick....
    If it still hasn't hit PCB, then fine. We go there. But if it has, the plans change. It's going to be the beach and it's not going to be anywhere than the Florida Gulf Coast Panhandle because of travel time/distance and they want "The Beach" and Lake Lanier is not going to cut it.
    PCB is on one side of that point that juts out into the Gulf with Port St. Joe, along with Destin and the like.
    What's on the other side? Is there anything in Apalachacola on the east side of that point or anywhere to take a similar vacation trip? What about Port St. Joe? Or do we stick with our original plan of PCB and hope for the sludge to stay away? (Note: Suggesting other options further west than PCB, further east than Appalachee Bay and going to the Atlantic Coast are not options.)

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Port St. Joe itself is a Grade-A shithole, although probably less so now that they tore down the giant chemical plant at the foot of the bridge. From there though, you can drive to Cape San Blas, which has a state park on the tip with a gourgeous beach. But this is a very rural area, and folks who are geeked for a week in PCB probably would hate it.

Appalachicola is home to a blinking caution light, which is the only traffic signal in all of Franklin County. It has some neat looking B&B places and a handful of seafood restaurants (BP willing). The nearest beach would be on St. George Island, which is to the east and just below Carrabelle on the mainland. I've not been there, but heard good things. The disclaimer from the above paragraph applies. East of that, you don't really run into any "true" beaches until almost Tampa Bay.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why thank you. I know nothing of the Gulf side between PCB and Tampa Bay. To me, it might as well be the U.S. west of the Mississippi in 1803 to my Thomas Jefferson, thinking woolly mammoths roamed the land..

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Drink yourself silly at the Flora-Bama Lounge?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It will be a different kind of filling station by then.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The Flora-Bama Lounge is a loooooong way from Panama City.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

How long is your vacation?

Haven't been in forever, but St. George Island is decent, I think, and Panacea might work.

What are you looking for in a beach?

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Have been going to PCB for years, staying at Regency Towers (last year, condo owned by former teacher) En Soleil (lucked into penthouse), Long Beach (twice), Edgewater (five-pus times) and even the Best Western Casa Loma 15-20 years ago.

Talking to a musician friend in Destin, he said many folks are cancelling summer vacations to the Destin/PCB/Fort Walton area. At the same time, he said he's been told the beaches should be OK in June or July.

Other folks I have talked to who usually do PCB/Destin are now considering at Gulf Shores, Ala. Still on the gulf. Pretty much the same stuff to do. Similar drive.

My family is still planning on PCB in June, but living in central KY, South Carolina is about the same drive. So our back-up plan is staying at SeaCrest in Hilton Head.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If PCB ends up being contaminated perhaps you could volunteer your time to assist in clean up effort. You would probably come away feeling better than if you just lay on beach doing nothing.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a three-day weekend (ruling out the Atlantic) and, personally, I could give a shit about the beach. Never have cared for it. On the other hand, Ms. Slappy and friends want a nice clean beach, sun, good surf and cold beer and not in that order.
    But they also want something to do at night.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll second St. George's Island.

Draft saved Draft deleted