1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panama City FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

And Pat McCann has spoken

2. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

Haha, not quite. Just someone who knows what the job entails.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Good for y'all if you expanded the coverage that much. It's far more extensive than it used to be.

Love:

A former Chipola beat writer (who never saw PC darken the doors.)

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Exactly my point.

5. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

Much of your first post was correct. Just to clarify, The News Herald was represented at every FSU home game and the Gator Bowl "a couple of years ago" and has covered every Seminole home game and bowl game for at least the past five years. The News Herald never covered a single FSU basketball game in the past five years, but yes, did cover FSU baseball at regionals and Super-Regionals. In terms of pagination, Pat McCann made a change two or three years ago...three deskers desk, two writers write. Writers will be asked to stay and proof pages on some nights, but their main responsibility is to report news (imagine that). Expect a lot of days writing two or three stories on two or three different subjects.

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

Who cares about the Florida/Florida State coverage, I want to know more about the 19-year-old girls from Wisconsin that make the drive south three weeks out of the year.

7. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

Wisconsin/Minnesota/Michigan/Arkansas/Illinois/Tennessee/Kentucky/Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia...we're all colors of one nation. Bring the A game.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

You're full of neat answers today.

9. Is Spring Break the main reason why the crime rate is through the roof? How is the city the other 10 or 11 months of the year? Is it like a ghost town, or is it actually more livable during the other months?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Panama-City-Florida.html

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not just spring break, but the tourist trade in general. After the college crowd clears out, Mom and Dad and the 1.5 kids hit town for a week-long fun-filled family vacation. The per capita numbers are through the roof, because they are compared to the permanent population. But there might be 2-3x that many people in town seven months out of the year.

Also bear in mind that Panama City Beach is a seperate municipality.

11. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

Yeah, Dixiehack, that's a good point. Panama City Beach is flat-out crazy during Spring Break, but that culture is changing as old hotels are torn down in favor of senior-friendly condos. Panama City, on the other hand, isn't affected by the Spring Break craze. Cost of living is rising, but the quality of living isn't keeping pace. I'm fortunate to pay a little more than $500/mo. for rent, but I've also lived in my place for well over two years, and I wouldn't want to raise kids in this neighborhood. Expect to pay $700+ for a 2BR. In terms of crime, I've never seen anything quite like this area (considering its size). A dude cuts off his girlfriend's head and buries it three inches under the sand and says it's how SHE wanted it to be, another guy gets drunk and runs over a group of motorcyclists, someone breaks into an area woman's home and kills her four children, and the cops have no answers. And speaking of the men in blue, I think most people by now have heard of the cops that beat up a kid at a boot camp and "possibly" contributed to his death. The cops beat is a fun one at The News Herald.

12. Attention writers from Podunk who complain every time they don't get a sniff for big-time jobs at AP and large metros:

This is the kind of job that, if done well, can put you on the path toward getting noticed. Go for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted