1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Ward

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by highlander, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

That many of you watched my Bobcats today?

Cool. :)

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Redoubtable is one of my all-time favorites.

I like estimable as well.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Pam does a solid job. She's not flashy, but she's not all about herself, either. Watch some of the other games and compare their announcers.

And I'd rather watch 10 of her games than be subjected to 20 more seconds of Gus Johnson.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can think of at least three people I dislike - Sean McDonaugh (always seems like he'd rather be somewhere else), Craig Bolerjack (decent announcer, but there is something wrong about someone in their late 40s still having dimples) and Gary Bender (don't know if he still works the MTN games).

The best thing I can say about Ward (and it is more of a complement than it sounds) is that she never tries to hype the game she is working more than it deserves. Many announcers will try and puff themselves by saying this is an important game, these teams still have a shot at second place/their third bowl win in a row, etc. Ward is pretty straight forward.
    Couple thoughts about the bowl games yesterday - ESPN rented out some rec hall for their game crews to enjoy a Christmas meal in Detroit, but in SF they ended up going to a Chinese restaurant? I kind of expected better from the World Wide Leader. Like maybe tablecloths?

5. highlander

highlander Member

I thought they said in Detroit that one of the camera men, who lives in Detroit, hosted a party. Showed him playing guitar at the event. I think Chinese food on Christmas night might be the best around. Lot's of places are closed on Christmas.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They can have "Chinese turkey," with or without the smiling face.

7. highlander

highlander Member

And take home in foil shaped like Swans.

8. Count me in the pro-Pam Ward club.

9. This thread is an example of why we can't have nice things

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Fail to understand why starting a thread on Pam Ward is a bad thing. This is what we do for a living -- we critique people. Sometimes we have to take it ourselves.

As for Ward, simply don't hear her enough to make an informed judgement.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree. And I disagree. This has been at least the third Pam Ward thread in the last few years on here. Why does SHE garner so much attention? And if you google Pam Ward, you find some pretty nasty fanboi critiques that wreak of misogyny.

I suspect this has more to do with her gender -- even if it is subconscious -- than it has anything to do with her broadcasting abilities, because frankly she is not that bad. She is low-key, puts the game before herself and is at the least a competent play-by-play person.

I see enough of Pam Ward to have an opinion. She does a really good low-key p-b-p, in my opinion, gets down and distance right and describes what is happening on the field very well without making herself the focus of the game. My only minor critique would be that she very occasionally (and it does not characterize her for the most part) trips over words and makes a mistake; usually something she immediately realizes and corrects. That can be said of A LOT of p-b-p people, though.

She is a solid broadcaster, in my opinion, and if I was going to rip on the current crop of college football broadcasters, no way she would make my list -- How couldn't you start with the three-man booth that includes mush-mouth slobbernocker Lou Holtz? Why would you focus on Pam Ward, who is solid, and not the overly bombastic Mike Patrick? How can't you put Bill Curry -- wrong and in your face for most of the game -- at the top of the list? I have yet to see any threads on here randomly started about them. So why Pam Ward?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...has never been in my kitchen

Draft saved Draft deleted