1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Ward: She gone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, May 21, 2012.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Thanks for the green light.

Pam is a gracious individual who never reminded me in subtle or not-so-subtle ways she works for ESPN and I don't.

Always enjoyed seeing her around.

That said, if you studied her work closely (hint, hint) it wasn't up to snuff.

Feel free to dismiss my opinion by calling me a hater/sexist/caveman.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, you can't be a caveman. I'm a caveman.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i obviously knew this had nothing to do with her but seeing my bitch sister-in-law's name in the title, along with "she gone" brought tears of wishful happiness to my eyes

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

She struck me as middle of the road. Not awesome, not bad (I've definitely heard worse). As many games on as many networks as ESPN has, surely there was (or is) a spot for her somewhere.

5. jr/shotglass

I hear the Ocho has an opening for pxp on the midget weightlifting nationals.

6. Watcher

Watcher New Member

She did the exact same thing that all the other pxp announcers do in big moments in terms of words, voice inflection and level of excitement. Not every person uses Gus Johnson levels to show excitement. So what you really mean is that her voice/style wasn't able to make YOU feel the big moments in a game. That's your problem, not hers.

If you want to make an issue over one mistake in a 3+ hour game then every pxp is guilty of idiocy. I found her work to be acceptable for a national broadcast. And as a long-time Big 10 viewer (taped every game for later viewing), I found that most of the stuff on sites like Awful Announcing took a lot of liberties with what was actually said especially about Ward. It became a game to see how often and how creatively she could be insulted in various forums.

7. jr/shotglass

OK. I'm betting I've seen about as much Big Ten over recent years as you, and I thought she was terrible. Which isn't particularly creative, I know. And I've never questioned her accuracy, although others obviously have. I just found her delivery to be grating.

To each their own -- although you sound like you're following the "Stop Bashing The Poor Lady!" camp.

8. Watcher

Watcher New Member

If she or anyone else makes a legitimate mistake, bash away. But fair and accurate.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Yeah, my judgment of her is based on her abilities, regardless of gender. If someone stinks, whether the announcer is male or female, I'm going to say they stink.

Draft saved Draft deleted