1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Ward: She gone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, May 21, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot the count.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Nobody would care if Pam Ward was named Tim Ward and had a penis.

She's so polarizing because she's a high-profile woman in an all-boys club.

It is the same level of crap the local female sports broadcaster gets and even if you try to claim it isn't sexism, it still is.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, then you're saying Pam Ward's work can't be critiqued because she's a woman. There's no way a man can say they don't like what she does.

That's kind of sexist in itself, isn't it?

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly the way I feel, shotty. Perfectly put.

During a blowout or parts of a game when nothing real riveting is going on, I think she is fine. Not great, not horrible, just there. But there has to be another gear for when the great/game-deciding moments are happening. She didn't seem to have it.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

Seriously?

I think there are plenty of good female sports broadcasters out there, ESPN's Beth Mowins being one of them. I think Pam Ward is one of the worst pxp announcers I've ever heard.

So am I still sexist? Let me know so I can go tell women to make me sandwiches if necessary.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They need not be told when we want the damn sammich!

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Watching the bottom-feeders of the BIG 10 during football season won't be the same, anymore.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You can critique her work all long day. It has been my experience that when someone says it isn't one thing, it usually is exactly that.

Pam Ward is a middle of the road announcer. That's it.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Agree on Mowins, who I really hadn't heard until she did the Duke-Bama call a couple of years ago. Doris Burke offers excellent insights for college hoops. Mary Joe Fernandez and Pam Shriver may be the two best tennis commentators regardless of gender.

Pam Ward? Not even close.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'll be honest - I have no idea if Pam Ward is good or bad, although my thought is middling or so-so since she's basically always been on low end of the totem pole.

Anyway, I do know this - I respect the hell out of her. I worked with her back in 1999 (side note: holy hell I'm getting old) when we were both PAs. Back then she said her goal was to play by play. I'm not sure anyone thought that would ever happen. But due credit, she obviously worked her butt off and never gave up and accomplished that goal. I know a lot of people (male and female) who would have given up.

11. donaugust

donaugust Member

I remember where I was, and I remember her mispronouncing the name of the guy who returned the interception 100 yards for a TD to seal that game.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm hearing a lot of "Pam Ward is terrible".

I've read very little as to why.

I'm not saying it's not a legitimate opinion -- I don't have a feeling about her one way or another -- but if you think she sucks say why.

I think Todd Harris is the worst college football (and auto racing) PBP person I've ever heard. Why? He continually got facts wrong, he tried to create hype where there was none, he had no rapport at all with his color commentators, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted